Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my passenger door will not open

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 04:38 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my passenger door will not open

i have just bought a disco 2, within 2 days of owning this fabulous car i am frustrated because the front passenger door will not open. i did not buy from a reputable dealer and now feel that i am left high and dry. any advice on what the problem could be?

Old 11-22-2012, 05:01 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A passenger door not opening is not a reason to feel as though you were sold a lemon.
Will it open from either in or out? Have you tried both?
Maybe you cable popped off your handle something simple.
Or maybe your lock mechanism is stuck?
Its just a guess with the info you gave us, but could be a simple fix.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

D2's and some other Rovers have a feature called super-lock, it is a second lock motor in each door that also disables the interior handles, so a pre-vert (that comes before pervert) can't break the glass and open the door. If the vehicle is doing this, we can detail some electrical things to try. You'll want to download the shop manuals set, called the RAVE.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Three Wheeling

good question, mine does this too from the outside only. I havent taken the door card off yet because I always forget about it till I have to let my little lady get it, then I get frustrated trying to reach across with my t-rex arms. I need to replace the mid speaker in that door anyway, might as well get to tearing that apart. Is there a general issue I should be looking for?

Old 11-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Winching
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by dpaller
good question, mine does this too from the outside only. I havent taken the door card off yet because I always forget about it till I have to let my little lady get it, then I get frustrated trying to reach across with my t-rex arms. I need to replace the mid speaker in that door anyway, might as well get to tearing that apart. Is there a general issue I should be looking for?
It is normally its the lock actuator. I would not wait too long because we had a customer that let this go and then one day he could not open it from the outside or the inside. It was extremely difficult to take apart with the door closed.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Three Wheeling

^^^^ thank you! good to know. Maybe I will get to that this weekend then.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Justin is right, my passenger and rear doors will not open with the remote or the button in the dash. I have to pull the door handle from the inside to unlock them. My drivers and cargo door work fine. I bought the actuators about 8 months ago and am dragging *** to replace them. I read its a bit of a pain in the ***. Ill try and do it next week and post the process. Justin lift will arrive on the 29th, Im excited. You did remember to get that bottle of Macallan 30 as promised right? I assume so due to the shipment being 2 boxes...

Old 11-24-2012, 09:23 PM
6th Gear

I finally opened the superlocked door. What happened was that by mistake I double locked with the key on the door to lock the rest of the doors.
Symptoms:
1. Door locks open with key, master lock and interior door handle.
2. Passenger door doesn't open, but the actuator works.

Solution:
Open the window, and remove the two Phillips screws from the interior door holder. Then, remove the black interior window trim. Then, apply a fast, forceful push from the back corner to the front, right before the dashboard in order to seperate the plastic door panel, making sure to be careful so it doesn't break. Using a flashlight to be able to see the door latch, apply a lot of WD40 close to the part attached to the door. At the same time, pull and release the outside door handle. With the key FOB, double click the lock button, then the unlock button without stopping applying WD40. Pull the outside handle repeatedly while doing this. Begin listening to the superlock motor as it tries to work until it releases the door. After the door is open, clean the latch until is clean and free of grime and dirt.
Then follow the instructions that Savannah Buzz is giving in this link

Old 12-05-2018, 06:04 AM
1st Gear
Default Door locking issue

Originally Posted by Fivespddisco
It is normally its the lock actuator. I would not wait too long because we had a customer that let this go and then one day he could not open it from the outside or the inside. It was extremely difficult to take apart with the door closed.
I have a 2006 Range Rover sport, my door was opening I was in mid process of taking the door panel off to fix the cable when my dad the mechanic decided to slam it shut a bunch of times.. currently can’t open from outside or inside. How can I go about fixing this ?

Old 12-05-2019, 11:11 AM
1st Gear
Default same problem

Originally Posted by Eddie1234

I have a 2006 Range Rover sport, my door was opening I was in mid process of taking the door panel off to fix the cable when my dad the mechanic decided to slam it shut a bunch of times.. currently can’t open from outside or inside. How can I go about fixing this ?
hi eddie I have the same problem did you manage to sort yours if so can you help thanks Tony

Quick Reply: my passenger door will not open