Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my steering box shot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 02:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my steering box shot?

Hi guys,

I have a D2 with about 180 on the clock. Around 50k, I thought I had a leak from the steering box so I replaced it with a used one. No leaks, seemed to have a little less play. Fast forward to the last 6 months or so, no leaks from the box, just a good amount of play. I followed the procedure yesterday to get the box adjusted, and thought I was good to go. Took the car out today for a drive and still lots of shake between 40-50 mph. I replaced the track rod and the drag link with the TerraFirma kit.

I found in tightening the box, which only was about a 1/2 - 3/4 of a turn, I now have tight center, and the steering loosens up once I turn the wheel to the sides. Am I over tightening, or is there an issue with the box? I have no steering stabilizer, as I wanted to make sure everything was fairly solid before I put a new one on. Last one was original and took no real effort to compress.

I still have another box that I can rebuild and swap, but I'm afraid of getting to the stage of frustration where I just start throwing parts at it.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the box symptoms? I'm pretty much over it and am also looking for a LR mechanic in the North Denver area if I'm still struggling.

Mike

Old 08-18-2016, 04:25 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

So what are the current symptoms? Steering wheel hanging up on center, normal elsewhere?

If there are any "tight" spots in the steering, you've adjusted the box too tight. You need to back the screw out a bit (I'd say 1/4 turn at a time) until it disappears, and see how your on-center play looks. Put the steering stablizer in (new or old) to have the full assembly together when evaluating.

If there's still too much on-center play for your liking, you should replace the box.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Current symptoms are wobble from 40-50 or so. Steering it tight in the middle, so I will adjust that and I have a new shock on it's way.

Took it to a mechanic today and he said the left motor mount is in two pieces causing some additional vibrations. I have them on they're way now.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:16 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Speed dependent vibrations (go away above/below a certain range) are typically wheel balance issues.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:58 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Adjusting the steering box correctly is a real doddle. Undo the nut about one complete turn, screw in the cross cut screw until you feel some resistance and then back it off about 1/8th to 1/6th of a turn, then tighten the nut down whilst restraining the screw ensuring it doesn't turn. Job done. Ensure when you adjust the steering box the steering is in the straight ahead position. After adjusting the steering box check the steering for any resistance or slack then take it out for a drive.

Steering wobble is unlikely to be the box and more likely either wheel balance or track/drag link ball ends being defective/loose. Once the steering gear is sorted out refit the new steering damper asap. IMO the OEM by LR is good but I currently run a Terrafirma damper 'cos it's cheaper and has proved very good so far only it's tougher to turn than the OEM and initially you loose the steering self centering.

Hope this helps.