Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

n00b Jeep convert

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 03:01 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default n00b Jeep convert

Hey guys, I'm totally new to the LR scene. My wife and I picked up an '02 Disco for a song a few months back right before we had a baby. The baby is the reason we sold the YJ Wrangler, and moved to the Disco.

We also just moved from Tennessee to Ohio. We enjoyed taking the Jeep off road (nothing entirely serious) in Tennessee, and when we find spots in KY and OH, we'll want to do the same with the Rover.

What are the key areas I need to cover to make it so that I don't have to worry about mild to moderate off roading with wife, child and dog in the truck? I've already read a bunch about the three amigos so I won't bore you with my questions there (yes the lights are on, yes I'm tracking down the problem one solution at a time).

I replaced the 18" wheels with 16" steel wheels and 245/75 BFG ATs. I'm looking at maybe doing a 2" lift (Old Man Emu stuff), and then possibly ditching the stock bumpers. Is there anything specific that's prone to failure (other than the normal wear and tear bearings/axles and such)?

Is there a decent place to be buying parts?

Thanks for any help. Here's a pic of the Disco:

Old 09-25-2008, 03:10 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: n00b Jeep convert

On Disco II's the (three amigos ) the Hill Dec /Traction Control/ABS

Head gaskets if you dont change the coolant.
Last is the front drive shaft if it has no grease points change it.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:12 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search and read the "new owner" posts. They cover all the stuff you should look at (drive shaft, premium only, plugs, wires, etc) that gets asked 100 times over. I did too.

Actually, Disco Mike should create a sticky thread for this, with all the common issues listed. Would save alot of effort.

For your moderate off roading, defiantly look into bumpers. You'll find the stock front has a lousy approach angle and you'll slam the rear coming off obstacles or into ruts. I'm starting to now as on the last trip, I constantly was backing up and taking new approach angles and popped some bumper trip off by slamming it on a rock.

I also recommend a steering guard. My new one just paid for itself by saving my steering components on it's first trip.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

www.atlanticbrirish.com and www.roverlandparts.com for new and used parts.
Lube the rear door handle every 3 months with silicon spray. Pop the LR emblem off the cargo door and lube it really well to keep it from sticking.
The front driveshaft needs to be rebuilt using greasable u-joints.
The coolant needs to be flushed every 45,000 miles or 3 yrs whichever is sooner.
Flush the brake fluid every 2 yrs.
You MUST use premium gas.
Atlantic British has alot of really good tech tips on their home page, read them, book mark the site.
Read your owners manual cover to cover and then read it again.
Do NOT use a K&N air filter.
You can buy alot of common parts from AutoZone.
Nice looking truck. Good call ditching the 18"s.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Three Wheeling

Okay, guys... I tried searching, first, but found nothing under the subject. So... Why should we NOT use a K&N in the Rover? I've had one in for about 2.5 years, now. Why is this a problem. Don't make me nervous like this!

Old 09-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

We are just going to let you stew.

For some reason the BOSCH MAF on a DII is ultra sensative to contamination. The oil from a K&N air filter contaminates the MAF and kills it. Now the MAF for a DII is not that expensive, but why spend $200 if you dont need to?
And with a LR the filter will not net you any MPG or horse power anyway. SO save your money and just buy a paper filter from the auto parts store.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Three Wheeling

I appreciate that. I hate the thought of throwing out a perfectly good K&N, but I'd justprefer to not have to replace the MAF! I'm strange like that! Looks like we're going back to paper.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:37 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice looking rover. Since it's a '02 there's no CDL without converting it so you might be limited on rocks off-road. If you're looking for a place to wheel in KY you should go to Harlan, there's a lot of trails up there and last time I went there was no charge to use them.