Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nearing 200k. what major service do i need?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:02 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
And the truck can be stolen tonight, a tree can fall on it and crush it, he could fall over dead of a heart attack, anything could happen at anytime with any car no matter the miles, make, year, etc.
If you are going to worry that much about things then dont own a car.
He could get a flat tire and roll over too.
So by your logic he should buy new tires every week.
Not everybody is made of money, pay attention to your truck, keep ontop of maintenance, dont beat the crap out of it and it will last as long as it is going to last.

No body said anything related to buying tires every week but you should replace your tires every 40k or as the manufacturer says to for safety reasons. And the asked what maintenance he should do to not have to worry about break downs Phil. I gave him my thoughts as to what parts fail around what mileage and what a preventive maintenance plan would be.

Did you read my message where it said if this does not put you in financial stress?

I own many cars and have never had any of them on a tow truck due to a break down

Old 12-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
No body said anything related to buying tires every week but you should replace your tires every 40k or as the manufacturer says to for safety reasons. And the asked what maintenance he should do to not have to worry about break downs Phil. I gave him my thoughts as to what parts fail around what mileage and what a preventive maintenance plan would be.

Did you read my message where it said if this does not put you in financial stress?

I own many cars and have never had any of them on a tow truck due to a break down
I do agree with not going broke fixing things by buying overpriced fluids/filters/etc.
I do also agree with being proactive and replacing things that are known to fail and leave you stranded with no warning, such as the crank sensor on a DII every 70k, its cheap, it fails often in the 70-80k range.
But alternator? Water pump? Timing set? Before they fail?
I have only been on a tow truck once, that was with the wifes Volvo, fuel pump died, no way to predict that.
In was not trying to be a jerk, it just makes me mad that there is this notion that people need to replace parts on a perfectly good engine that they would never even think about replacing on anything other than a Rover because everyone is so scared of their Rover exploding if they do one thing wrong.
I know people who take their Kia to Wal-Mart for oil changes, have never done a tune up or replaced any cooling system part, the car has 250k on it and they drive it like they stole it, but their Rover never leaves the driveway because they are scared to drive it because it has 160k on it.
Makes no damn sense.
My truck has 220k, runs like a top, starts each and everytime, makes no unusual noises and I have done nothing other than maintenance.
Original water pump, original head gaskets, original crank sensor and I would drive it around the world tomorrow if someone else paid for the trip.