Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on aftermarket part for engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice on aftermarket part for engine

Good day,

I was looking through e bay and found something called a FloBlade gas saver system. Has anyone every heard of them ? If I were to purchase one and install it would anyone know if I would void my warranty on my vehicle.

Are any of the after market parts such as horse power and fuel econdomy computer chips and gadgets such as the floblade actually worth it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:59 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need advice on aftermarket part for engine

Search around here on the forums for "MPG" and the like. There have been several conversations about aftermarket add-on's for HP and MPG. I think the consensus was something to the tune of: A little seafoam from time to time, proper maintenance, proper tire pressure, 91+ octane ALWAYS, and plain paper air filters (lose the k&m to save your MAF).

Other than that I think a lot of the aftermarket things like "FloBlade" are little hokey. Use the money to pick up a new air filter, bottle of seafoam and some t-body cleaner. A smoother, cleaner engine is a more productive engine. But hey, that's just my opinion.

-W

Old 02-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They don't work.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

It is a waste of money, you can send me money and I will tell you how to improve your MPG.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good day,

Spike555 how about this; I don't send you money and you give me advice as to how to improve my MPG

[sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 02-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Fair enough, here is what I did and I get 20+ on the highway.
Denso Iridium spark plugs, Duralast plug wires, I will use a better brand next time.
40 PSI in the tires, Mobil 1 gear lube in both differentials, transfer case and Mobil 1 15W50 in the crankcase.
A clean air filter, clean PCV and premium gas, I get the best MPG with Shell V-Power.
I did a throttle body and induction cleaning using Seafoam as well as a can in the gas tank followed by a bottle of Chevron with Techron injector cleaner. And I run a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank after every oil change. (5,000 miles)
Keep the windows and sunroofs closed, remove the Yak Rack when not needed and set the cruise control at 65 MPH.
This last summer I took a 700 mile round trip trip and with the A/C on and just me and 3 days luggage in the trk I got 24 mpg, same trip with the whole family 3 months later we got 22 mpg.
But our average on our frequent trips up north we get 18-20 mpg.
I dont even bother to check the city MPG, it gets way to much idle time. But it takes half a tank of gas for my wife to drive the kids back and fourth to school, half a tank of gas to go a total of 40 miles.
The bottom line is to reduce as much strain on the engine as you can, get the most out of your spark. The less it has to work the better your MPG will be.
Oh, yeah, O2 sensors. Make sure that they are good as well. I have not replaced mine yet but it is in the plans for the future.
Hope this helps, others will have input as well.