Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Advice On Leaking Rear Differential

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 05:40 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Need Advice On Leaking Rear Differential

Hello, I have an '04 Disco 2 with 105k miles. My rear differential has been a problem since I bought it at 73k (it had one owner). Just after i purchased it, I I had the entire drive train serviced (including replacing the front shaft) my mechanic told me that the rear diff was bone dry and looks like it had been leaking (my bad for not catching this). Although the mechanic replaced the rear diff seal he said it could leak again because the ring/seal area had some deep scratches - he thinks whoever serviced it before likely scratched it up while removing the previous seal. He was right about the leaks. Its been leaking consistently for the last three years. Yesterday while purchasing some black front seats from a vendor nearby, I also bought the rear axle from the same junked disco on a whim. The rear diff on the axle showed zero signs of leakage and had oil in it and it didn't look doctored up to make it look like it wasn't leaking. The oil you do see in the pics is from the axle vent. I had the vendor remove it from the junked disco. I'd like to use this "new" diff and here's my question: should I just throw in the entire rear axle in or just change the rear diff only? My concern is that if I just swap the rear diffs, I'm breaking what appears to be the original diff seal and really don't want to take the chance of having more leaks when I put on a new seal. Is it considerably more work to replace the rear axle than just swapping the diffs? I can see there are four main bolts, plus shocks, etc. As a side note, I'm planning to replace the springs/shocks anyways. This will be a driveway job and I have all the main tools. If ya'll think this was bad purchase, please tell me. The seats I bought with it would make up the difference anyways. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-09-2020, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Center Diff just uses RTV to seal it.

The following users liked this post:
Kalliste80 (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 07:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,275 Likes on 896 Posts

Yeah, l'd probably just change the diff. Disassemble brakes, hang calipers out of the way, unbolt hubs (leaving large center nut in place) and pull axles complete. Drain fluid, remove driveshaft and diff. Get new o - rings for hubs, clean up axle housing where hubs mount, install diff (using gasket sealant as suggested), reassemble axles/hubs/driveshaft/brakes/refill fluid and blow out plastic vent hose before installing.

The following users liked this post:
Kalliste80 (05-09-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 07:38 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks to both of you. I'll do the diff swap then. All the best!

Old 06-08-2020, 09:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Update: I'm having a terrible time removing the axle nuts on the rear end I got from the junk yard. A rear end sitting on the ground doesn't give the same leverage to turn the axle nuts as the one on my disco. All i want off it at this point is the rear diff. Is there any way to remove the rear diff from the rear end without taking the axle nut and axle shafts? I'm thinking a cutting disc is the only way but looking for other suggestions before I have to buy one. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-08-2020, 09:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Not an easy way, no. $50 will get you a 1/2" impact gun at Harbor freight that will remove the axle nuts.

Old 06-08-2020, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I would think if you could get a pipe or bar between some of the wheel studs and have someone stand on that or pin it under something heavy that won't lift up easy while using a breaker bar to loosen them that would work. I remember seeing a tool years ago from a group in the UK that allowed you to quickly remove the nut on either a D2 axle/hub or the nut from the pinion gear on F/R diff. It was basically a big plate of steel with specific holes in it which allowed you secure it, then attach a cheater pipe to hold it while you used an impact or a large breaker bar to loosen the nut.

I think that Bleepin Jeep guy showed something similar a while back as well.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:05 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the responses. I don't have anyone to help me but that big steel plate idea sounds pretty interesting. I think I might go the route of using an impact wrench. It looks like the axle nut needs about 360 pounds of torque to loosen, so I just ordered an impact wrench and will see how that goes. Thanks again.

Old 06-09-2020, 06:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 440 Likes on 300 Posts

I like that whole assembly. How many miles on it? I would swap out the whole axle as a unit. Check for play first...make sure everything turns smoothly....

The you can reseal your original as a backup.....

Old 06-09-2020, 08:03 AM
Winching
Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

No need to remove the axle nut if all you want is the diff. Just remove the hubs and the axles will come with them.

The following 2 users liked this post by Red5:
XRAD (06-09-2020), ZGPhoto (06-10-2020)

Quick Reply: Need Advice On Leaking Rear Differential