Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need direction on SES codes

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 01:19 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need direction on SES codes

Hello all. 2001 D2, 111k miles. Stock, but slowly working my way through Mike's 60k service.

My Service Engine Soon light illuminated tonight. I received codes P0171 and P0174 (banks running lean) and a pending code of P0447 (Canister Vent Solenoid Valve Open Circuit fault). I also have monitors activated for Misfire, Fuel, Catalyst, Evap, Comp, O2 Sensor, and O2 Heater. I have not performed a service yet, but I have Magnecor 8mm wires standing by waiting for Bosch Platinum +4's as soon as funds allow. I have looked into the RAVE manual to discover the source for all of these codes and monitors, but have not pinpointed it down to a single issue. I am looking for direction on if all of these can be triggered by a CVS fault, or does this sound like a combination of problems. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:28 AM
Three Wheeling

I also wanted to add that I did a visual inspection last night after reading through the RAVE and various posts, and both the plug and the hose seem fully seated/connected and there are no obvious breaks in either.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

install the plugs and wires first. clear the codes. then read the codes again. there are a few things going on but finish your maitenance first and you will see some of those dissapear.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Update to original posts:

Hey all. Swapped to Magnecor 8mm wires and Bosch Platinum+4 plugs a couple of days ago. I haven't driven it much since then, but here are the somewhat updated specs:

No Codes (so far...)
Monitors:
3 Incomplete - Catalyst, Evap, O2 Sensor
4 Ready - Misfire, Fuel, Comp, O2 Heater

I have not received the CVS valve code again since I cleared the code after receiving it the first time.

Overall the truck runs smoother and slightly quieter. I also switched oils from whatever was in there when I bought it to Rotella T 15w40 and a NAPA/WIX 1515 filter. So all-in-all an improvement. Could anyone have any direction for these monitors?

Old 08-12-2010, 10:43 AM

keep driving until your CEL comes on and read the active codes.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Three Wheeling

Hey again. I had switched the plugs and wires on Tues. I have driven the truck to and from work for the last 4 days now (at least 25 min each way). No SES light yet. I checked the codes again and there were no codes, but all of the previous monitors (Misfire, Fuel, Catalyst, Evap, Comp, O2 Sensor, and O2 Heater) that were both ready and incomplete are now all ready. No changes in driving feel, sound, or performance. It runs fine. Not smooth as silk, but pretty close. Seems strange that I would have been getting the 0447 just the one time; I didn't think that the wires, plugs would affect the CVS. Anyway, anybody have any direction on what to do to correct these monitored faults?

Last edited by smoverstreet; 08-15-2010 at 06:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't you have to accumulate some miles to clear the incomplete monitor faults?

Old 08-14-2010, 09:47 PM
Three Wheeling

There are no incomplete faults. Those that were previously incomplete are now ready. What do my ready faults point to?

Old 08-16-2010, 03:06 AM
Three Wheeling

Okay, I should have listened to you Ed and Danny. Tonight on the way to work the SES light came on again. After I got to work I read the codes. (Always keep your scanner with you folks.) Active codes were P0171 and P0174 again. No others. Monitors were all incomplete: Fuel, Evap, O2 Sensor, and O2 Heater. No readies. Any ideas?

Old 08-16-2010, 08:34 AM

check for vacuum leaks in the air intake hose. when was the last time you changed all 4 o2 sensors?

Quick Reply: Need direction on SES codes