Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need guidnce and recommendations for new suspension system

Old 02-10-2018, 06:21 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Need guidnce and recommendations for new suspension system

I've been using using TerraFirma suspension kits since day one and now I'd like to give something else a try. I'd like to have a 3.5-4 inch suspension lift with really robust shocks and coils in the rear to compensate for a fully loaded cargo Bay and towing a small Jeep trailer long term. I understand that there are a number of different suspension kits available from TerraFirma, Old Man Emu, Bilstein, Procomp, Fox etc. I also know that some of you folks mix and match various suspension components for your specific needs. In South Africa and Australia they actually have certified 4x4 outfit shops where you can bring in your suv/truck and have a team of experienced folks asses your specific needs, weigh your vehicle then put together a suspension system to best suit your needs. You tell them how much you plan on carrying for weight and how you intend on driving your vehicle and they do the rest. Seems like we don't have that luxury here. You pretty much just source a suspension lift kit that meets your budget and be on your way.

I'm not interested in extreme rock crawl capabilities or flashy colored shocks and springs. This time around I want to do things right. I plan on buying a Jeep Trailer and loading it up so I don't want the back end of my truck to sag or hang low like you commonly see with pickup trucks that are towing. Kinda wish I had rear air suspension but alas. I don't care how firm or bouncy the ride is so long as I have a handsome lift and a stable truck while towing.

So what would you folks recommend?

Old 02-10-2018, 06:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 846 Likes on 633 Posts

I'm not the best to answer your question... but I am looking at possibly getting a combination of RTE heavy duty 2" springs set and Fox 2.0 +2" shocks. This is due to needing more of a heavy duty suspension for my steel bumpers, winch, rock sliders, tank and steering skid plates.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,237 Likes on 1,660 Posts

I'd go with RTE springs and honestly the TF longer travel shocks. I have yet to have a pair of TF shocks let me down. Most of the people I've seen complain about TF shocks were running them on old saggy springs so the shocks were doomed from the moment they were installed. I've had OME shocks leak, and I had one set where the bushing fell to pieces 6 months later. I honestly prefer Bilstein 5100's, but I'm still looking into what longer travel shock 1-2inch longer vs OEM would be compatible with our D2's as Bilstein doesn't list a 5100 for our D2's.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 144 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I'd go with RTE springs and honestly the TF longer travel shocks. I have yet to have a pair of TF shocks let me down. Most of the people I've seen complain about TF shocks were running them on old saggy springs so the shocks were doomed from the moment they were installed. I've had OME shocks leak, and I had one set where the bushing fell to pieces 6 months later. I honestly prefer Bilstein 5100's, but I'm still looking into what longer travel shock 1-2inch longer vs OEM would be compatible with our D2's as Bilstein doesn't list a 5100 for our D2's.
This is excellent guidance. I have LTE 3” coils and the TF +2 shocks, great combination and not sag under load. Also happens to be less expensive than most other combinations.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:11 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
I'd like to have a 3.5-4 inch suspension lift with really robust shocks and coils in the rear to compensate for a fully loaded cargo Bay and towing a small Jeep trailer long term
A 3.5-4 inch lift is the complete opposite direction you want to go with if you’re planning on towing. Spring height and lift does not mean added load capacity. You can source progressive rate springs to deal with additional weight and load, or for less than a few hundred bucks you can get a weight distributing hitch setup that will keep the rear of your truck level even under heavy load. I used one for years hauling a flatbed car hauler and later a 30’ enclosed trailer. It’s the only way to fly for pulling a heavy load.

Plus, once you start going over 3” of life on these trucks you’re opening a whole other can of modification worms you need to address.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:20 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 938 Likes on 631 Posts

Not necessarily true. Im running 3.5" and am otherwise stock, down to the factory brake lines. I also tow very regularly, up to and past 7k lbs. No issue.

Not to say it's optimal; it's not. Can definitely work though. Towing a trail trailer is not something that requires a load distribution hitch either, unless it was designed INCREDIBLY poorly. It appears to me that OP is building a bit of an off road right and just wants the best of both worlds.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:27 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Not necessarily true. Im running 3.5" and am otherwise stock, down to the factory brake lines. I also tow very regularly, up to and past 7k lbs. No issue.

Not to say it's optimal; it's not. Can definitely work though. Towing a trail trailer is not something that requires a load distribution hitch either, unless it was designed INCREDIBLY poorly. It appears to me that OP is building a bit of an off road right and just wants the best of both worlds.
He asked about how to address rear end sag in anticipation of carrying a heavy load in the rear of his truck and also frequently towing a trailer.

You acknowledge your setup isn’t optimal, and as described it’s obviously not based on what you say your setup is and what you tow. He didn’t ask for suboptimal recommendations, so I didn’t offer one.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:56 AM
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm working on an option that's adjustable 3cm to 9cm lift, air ride, made in the UK. Very affordable. Are you interested? I could send you a version for testing and feedback.

The following users liked this post:
alpinacsi (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 03:02 PM
TReK

I'll have to check out the RTE coil springs. Should I get 4 like minded coil springs? Example: 4 inch lift coil springs front and rear or should I have bigger coils in the rear? I don't want my truck to look too crazy but the roof rack, Sahara bumper, winch and all the **** in the cargo Bay will weigh the truck down anyways say nothing about a trailer.

The trailer I have in mind is a M416 Military Jeep trailer. Gonna load it up with a full size spare wheel for the truck and a spare trailer wheel, 5 gallon propaine canister, water, tools, heavy telescope equipment etc. Wondering if these trailers can be lifted to be same level as a lifted truck or if they have any special hookups that compensate for height differences between truck and trailer all and while keeping the truck level while towing.

On rare occasion I will be hauling around a backup Suv on a auto transport trailer.

PS: I believe I should aim for a little bit more lift than what I had on my grey truck. I think it was the TF 2" lift kit though Lucky 8 informed me that it's actually a 3" lift. If that's true I definitely need a little extra so my truck does not bottom out on rocks and snow as quickly. I will be getting extended ss brake lines and my Tom Woods drives shaft is supposedly compatible with 3+ inch lift kits.

Last edited by TRIARII; 02-12-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:06 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Proper4wd
I'm working on an option that's adjustable 3cm to 9cm lift, air ride, made in the UK. Very affordable. Are you interested? I could send you a version for testing and feedback.
I'd need a lot more information and maybe some pics. But yes I'd probably be interested in beta testing. What is your experience with engineering or building of suspension components?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need guidnce and recommendations for new suspension system