Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help/Advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 05:53 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help/Advise

Hi Guys,

I have a 97 Disco with 156K. I recently drove from Central Texas to San Diego. Just as I got to San Diego it made a loud noise in the front. It is now constantly making a noise in the front while driving. It does not while in park. I am scared to drive it for making it worse or causing more damage.

I have read and read. I even tried looking underneath it, but honestly have no clue what I am looking at.

I need recommendations on who to take it to. I dont know anyone here to work on it. I am not going to a stealership. I am at my wits end. Anyone know a reliable mechanic who is also reasonable? I am in the area of Clairmont Dr. and I-5. Any help would be appreciated.

Ya'll are the best. I have learned so much on this forum.

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well if you are at all capable with hand tools then I would say to start by checking the gear lube level in the front differential.
It is really easy to do but you need the correct tool.

If you are not then go to www.cartalk.com, fine the "Mechanix Files" link and enter your zip code.
Recommended shops in your area will come up.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:56 PM
7th Gear

What kind of tool would I need? Is there a picture somewhere that would show me what I am looking for. I know nothing about mechanics, but am very willing to learn.

Sorry for being such a girl!! lol

Old 11-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Team Owner

This is the tool you will need, but you can get it cheaper elsewhere, like Harbor Freight or a autoparts store or Wal-Mart for example.
But it must be a 1/2" drive breaker bar or ratchet, you may also want to pick up a 3" extension.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ve+breaker+bar
Here is what your axles look like.
Front.
http://www.roverlandparts.com/1996-1...bly-front.aspx
Rear.
http://www.roverlandparts.com/1997-1...mbly-rear.aspx
Now go and look at your front axle, the differential is the big round thing on the passenger side, it has a plug half way up it on the front, that is your check/fill plug.
Take your 1/2" breaker bar and stick the squre end of the breaker bar into the square plug and remove it.
Do this with the truck sitting level.
Then stick your finger into the hole and pull it back out, it is covered in gear oil?
No?
Then you need to add gear lube.
Now do the same thing to your rear differential.

I would call a taxi or borrow a car, walk, ride the bus, ride your bike, bum a ride to go and get your supplies.
If you need gear lube any gear lube will work.
Just make sure it says "gear lube for automotive differentials", if you ask at the auto parts store they will help you, just get the cheap stuff.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:39 PM
7th Gear

Thank you Spike.

I will do this tomorrow and let you know. Thanks so much for your patience on explaining it to me.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:37 PM
7th Gear

Well, I tried for an hour or so to get that open. It was stuck. Tried spraying it with WD 40, no help. Finally got frustrated at crept it to a shop very close by. It was the drive shaft in the front. The took it to another place and the sad news was it could not be rebuilt. Bottom line I had driven with it bad longer than I knew. But, no further damage was done. Lesson learned. Should get it back tomorrow after noon.

Spike, thanks again for all of your help...........

I am so thankful for this forum, I am learning more and more about my Disco. and how to take care of her.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Team Owner

No problem, thats why we're here, to help.

Glad it was only the front driveshaft and nothing to serious.

Any questions just shout.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:43 PM
7th Gear

Oh, I meant to add. When I was underneath it, I noticed the radiator hose (I think) had a rough area on it. I would think it needs to also be replaced. It was not bulging, but was not all smooth. Advise?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:21 PM
Team Owner

If you do not know any history on the truck then you must assume that nothing has ever been done to it maintenance and repair wise.

So, replace all of your coolant and heater hoses, and as long as the coolant is drained out you might as well replace your thermostat too, that is easy.
Not a easy job on a DI, took me several hours and I am a pretty competent shade tree mechanic.
The lower hose is what takes so long.
You can buy a hose kit from www.atlanticbritish.com.

Are you willing to get down and dirty?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:50 PM
7th Gear

I am most willing to learn to work on it. In fact, that is my plan. Not here where I have no tools ect. Do you think this can wait until I go about 1500 miles? Or should I get the hose replaced while it is in the shop? I dont want to take any chances.

After I get back and settled you will be getting lots more questions from me.

Not scared to get dirty at all!!

Oh, I do have the owners manual at it did go to the stealership for checks until about 120,000 miles. Owner I bought it from, said the serp. belt and radiator flush had just been done. No receipts provided.

Before this trip it had, alternator and fan clutch replaced. I also had new wires and plug put on at that time.

During the trip, I used seafoam in the gas once. Been using Shell HI oct. I was then getting 19-21 mpg on the high way. I am trying to treat her right.

Quick Reply: Need Help/Advise