Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help with Britpart Springs and Gaz Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 03:52 PM
Received 1,151 Likes on 796 Posts

@Jackspratt2 No one including me asked but have you driven it, do you see more sway or body roll during normal driving and cornering. And as to air bags VS springs there is a difference an airbag can not have a stronger rate or more laterally firmness, the way a spring does but after your update I am not sure that is where the issue is

But if you had zero roll/sway before the bumper/winch and shocks and springs

You added the bumper and winch and your springs sagged badly so they were shot - did you have more body roll/swaying at this point
You updated the springs and shocks and the shop says you have a lot of body roll/sway

So you either have poor springs or an issue with your ACE. I would start by checking for any pending codes, then run through all the ACE troubleshooting steps it could be your system is just low on fluid or a failing ACE component

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (12-10-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 09:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 774 Likes on 510 Posts

Or simply adding a ton of weight to your vehicle changes how it drives...I mean it's not rocket science it's not like modifying a 4x4 makes it drive better on the road. Let's add weight literally everywhere and expect it to drive like stock. I agree with Richard's post above, also I would not buy Britpart shocks or springs there are better options out there and you get what you pay for..

Old 12-10-2020, 02:48 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whowa004
Or simply adding a ton of weight to your vehicle changes how it drives...I mean it's not rocket science it's not like modifying a 4x4 makes it drive better on the road. Let's add weight literally everywhere and expect it to drive like stock. I agree with Richard's post above, also I would not buy Britpart shocks or springs there are better options out there and you get what you pay for..

So I shoudn't have a heavily modified disco .. I should go back to stock.. ,, no thanks. I'm trying to boldly go where few have gone before .. and I'm almost there and need some help... like yea just forget it and go back to stock like I have. That's not advise.

I know it changes how it drives... It drove fine with stock springs but the exxxtra weight pushed it down inches (it has spacers). But it drove without swaying. After we put the yellow Britpart HD shocks and springs theeeeeen it started swaying.

Last edited by Jackspratt2; 12-10-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2020, 02:54 PM
Banned

Just spoke with Rovers North and they say it could be the SLS Airbags .. and has luck would have it ....they sell the conversion kits for SLS.

Does anyone here think it could be the rear airbags/..... when the weight was added in the FRONT END ?

I am not getting rid of ACE or SLS. I will remove the bumper and winch before that happens. Does anyone here think it could be the SLS Airbags causing the sway? If it was the SLS Airbags it seems the sway would occur in the rear end and not the front ...

Can sway be caused if the springs are too stiff?

Old 12-11-2020, 01:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 774 Likes on 510 Posts

So if springs are the only thing changed then it's reasonable to say that the springs are the cause. Couple of factors here, old stuff was so shot that it didn't have any give left so it didn't sway when it should have, new spring rates are not agreeable with your load out, having a stiff front and a soft rear (HD springs vs airbags) that mismatch highlights the airbags inability to match the rate of the front, or the new springs raised you higher than the old worn suspension (even wiht the pucks) and the CG is just high enough to be more noticeable. Did the shop remove your front sway bar when they did the spring install and not replace it?

Loading up a truck with SLS is not going boldly where few people have before, nor is just doing bumpers and a roof rack heavily modified, it is just heavy.

Old 12-11-2020, 01:46 PM

@Jackspratt2

Originally Posted by Jackspratt2
Just spoke with Rovers North and they say it could be the SLS Airbags .. and has luck would have it ....they sell the conversion kits for SLS.

Does anyone here think it could be the rear airbags/..... when the weight was added in the FRONT END ?

I am not getting rid of ACE or SLS. I will remove the bumper and winch before that happens. Does anyone here think it could be the SLS Airbags causing the sway? If it was the SLS Airbags it seems the sway would occur in the rear end and not the front ...

Can sway be caused if the springs are too stiff?
Yes the sway can be caused if you have one stiff set of springs and one weak, the stiff set will move less and return to "neutral faster" than the weaker set. The other thing did you replace the rear shocks ?

As to the SLS spring conversions those have been around for years mostly because the OEM air springs and compressor were so much money 16+ years on that is less of issue

Old 12-11-2020, 04:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
@Jackspratt2

Yes the sway can be caused if you have one stiff set of springs and one weak, the stiff set will move less and return to "neutral faster" than the weaker set. The other thing did you replace the rear shocks ?

As to the SLS spring conversions those have been around for years mostly because the OEM air springs and compressor were so much money 16+ years on that is less of issue
I replaced all 4 shocks at the same time. With front springs. SLS Airbags are almost new.

I thought the ARB Bumper weighed 90 lbs but it weighs 190 lbs ! ! ! The winch weighs 80 lbs ! Thats 270 lbs hanging off the front end. The shocks I got were rated up to 220 lbs... ...

so I'm facing a problem here. .. .I see lots of rover owners here that used the ARB with HB winch ... what kind of front shocks are they using ?

Old 12-11-2020, 08:11 PM

Check OME they are expensive but they have a few options for D2's

Old 12-17-2020, 02:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by whowa004
So if springs are the only thing changed then it's reasonable to say that the springs are the cause. Couple of factors here, old stuff was so shot that it didn't have any give left so it didn't sway when it should have, new spring rates are not agreeable with your load out, having a stiff front and a soft rear (HD springs vs airbags) that mismatch highlights the airbags inability to match the rate of the front, or the new springs raised you higher than the old worn suspension (even wiht the pucks) and the CG is just high enough to be more noticeable. Did the shop remove your front sway bar when they did the spring install and not replace it?

Loading up a truck with SLS is not going boldly where few people have before, nor is just doing bumpers and a roof rack heavily modified, it is just heavy.

They did not remove the sway bar. I don't want it removed. Because I don't want it swaying on the street. Only offroad. Terra Firma sells a detachable swaybar but I can't find any reviews about it.

It is going boldly .. that's what everyone is telling me that everyone they know loaded uses rear springs .. I don't want rear springs .. the SLS keeps it level under load .. nothing looks sillier than a LR weighed down in the back under springs or tow.

Old 12-17-2020, 02:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Check OME they are expensive but they have a few options for D2's

I might have to toss the pretty yellow HD Britparts and use OME Extra heavy duty springs .. but now I'm reading that sway could be caused by springs that are too stiff.. too heavy .. and that I should buy medium duty .. getting confused ..

Quick Reply: Need Help with Britpart Springs and Gaz Shocks