Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help! Looking to buy this...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 03:13 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help! Looking to buy this...

http://mcallen.en.craigslist.org/ctd/1812985294.html

First let me begin by saying this site is awesome! I have spent hours on this site trying to educate myself as much as possible. The camaraderie displayed on this site is unrivaled by any other enthusiast site. With that said...

I have been looking around for a DII for a couple of months now. I have settled on a 2003 or 2004 and ran across this. I need a family friendly vehicle and have always had a soft spot for Land Rovers. Never had a reason to buy until now. My wife is expecting and both our vehicles are not suitable (99 eclipse and 02 Ram 1500 reg cab). I was originally looking for an 04 for around $10k with less than 100k mi preferably less than 80k. I can go higher; however, most on this site agree to stick around $10k. I have found a few in Texas; however, this came up and I can probably get this for around 5k. Is this a good buy? Or should I look for something with less miles? I understand that these vehicles can be money pits. But, at $5k even if I put in another $5k I am still ahead of the game right?

What do you all think???

PS
My second choice for the family is a 06/07 SAAB 9-3 SportCombi Aero or maybe a Volvo V70

Old 07-10-2010, 05:41 AM
Three Wheeling

Hey, fellow LR junkie! Good to meet you. First thing's first. Does it fall within the dreaded VIN# range for 2003's on the oil pump studs? I would check around or ask someone knowledgable (with many posts) for the range if you don't know it.

Most of us don't mind working on our rigs, or are quickly getting used to it (just ask around...Vandev...03discoman...ahem), but this alone would give me enough cause to look for another one if the VIN does fall inside the range. This doesn't mean that the engine necessarily will grenade, but it's like prancing around in a minefield that has been clearly marked for years.

Second, when deciding on a price for a rig keep in mind the cost of getting the truck back to proper running status. The truck you have in mind looks nice, looks like a decent price, and may run fine, but if you don't have good records of ALL of the maintenance items over the years, it would be a good idea to plan on catching up via Mike's 60K Service, etc. LR's were not cheap to maintain when new, and compared to other cars of a similar age, they can be more expensive to maintain now.

It's addictive though, this LR thing, and I look forward to reading posts from you about your adventures in the garage or on the trails. BTW, how's life in McAllen? Been there a few years ago; stayed in Edinburg, went across to Progressso, all the usual stuff. I have friends that live there. Take care!

Old 07-10-2010, 07:16 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The bad VIN range is 3A771801 to 3A808362, so that one falls outside that.
See what work has been done on the engine and when. Typically they overheat and the head gasket goes, the head gaskets are done but the over heating issue is never addressed.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundu
The bad VIN range is 3A771801 to 3A808362, so that one falls outside that.
See what work has been done on the engine and when. Typically they overheat and the head gasket goes, the head gaskets are done but the over heating issue is never addressed.

what? they typically overheat? my truck has never overheated. if your truck is overheating there is something wrong with it.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default what? they typically overheat?

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
what? they typically overheat? my truck has never overheated. if your truck is overheating there is something wrong with it.

what? they typically overheat? Yes, They typically overheat when not running or have been properly taken car of. After 10 years of LR ownership, they do typically overheat which leads to total engine failure vs. a iron block engine. Porus blocks, miss drilled dowls leading to oil pump failure...to then no oil circulating...overheating no matter how good your cooling system is running...My engine went in less than 2 minutes...my fault ...yes ...wasnt watch my temp gauge for two minutes... If you are comparing auto's is general..i would have to agree that they do "typically overheat" more in general than most cars... I think the question, "is there something wrong with it" answers itself... If you can buy a $38,000.00 for $5,000.00 6 years later there must be something wrong with it...

Old 07-10-2010, 09:20 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
You've never heard of a Disco overheating... strange.
This is one of the only vehicles I have heard of where having the heads done before 100K is normal and it's also a selling point.
I looked at Discos for 6 months before buying one, every single one had head gaskets done and "some over heating issues" as the sellers like to put it.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:20 PM
2nd Gear
Default Looking to buy...

smoverstreet...

Life is good here! Good food, the beach less than an hour away, good hunting and fishing... The recent Hurricane and storms is causing flooding but living on the Gulf Coast we are use to that. Mexico is out of the question. I have family in Monterrey and even I do not travel to there any more. Unless you want the I survived the drug wars t-shirt. More killings in Mexico than anywhere else in the world! Some bad things going on ever there right now. Even Progresso has had some shoot-outs.

Anyhow, so what do you guys think? Buy a high mile disco cheap or hold out for something with less miles?

FYI
I am having the dealership give it a one over before I buy anything. They should be able to catch the big stuff.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rgv_disco
http://mcallen.en.craigslist.org/ctd/1812985294.html

First let me begin by saying this site is awesome! I have spent hours on this site trying to educate myself as much as possible. The camaraderie displayed on this site is unrivaled by any other enthusiast site. With that said...

I have been looking around for a DII for a couple of months now. I have settled on a 2003 or 2004 and ran across this. I need a family friendly vehicle and have always had a soft spot for Land Rovers. Never had a reason to buy until now. My wife is expecting and both our vehicles are not suitable (99 eclipse and 02 Ram 1500 reg cab). I was originally looking for an 04 for around $10k with less than 100k mi preferably less than 80k. I can go higher; however, most on this site agree to stick around $10k. I have found a few in Texas; however, this came up and I can probably get this for around 5k. Is this a good buy? Or should I look for something with less miles? I understand that these vehicles can be money pits. But, at $5k even if I put in another $5k I am still ahead of the game right?

What do you all think???

PS
My second choice for the family is a 06/07 SAAB 9-3 SportCombi Aero or maybe a Volvo V70
Do yourself a favor for your marriage an your unborn child, don't buy a disco at this time, especially a 150k disco. Your going to need and want to spend time with your family, and there are all kinds of things you will need to adjust to and unexpected expenditures you will have with your firstborn. Now isn't the time to add a vehicle that requires the time, love and money that your family will need.

If you want a luxury nameplate and like Saabs, condsider a 9-2x, its made by Subaru, extremely reliable, you can buy one with around 50k for $10000 or less. A disco is opening the door for too much trouble for you at this time in your life IMO.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:14 PM
Mudding

Discowest is right, these trucks are great, but the amount work, time, and money these trucks may need will probably make your ownership experience bad. Wait a few years when the kids are older and the trucks will be cheaper.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:49 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundu
You've never heard of a Disco overheating... strange.
This is one of the only vehicles I have heard of where having the heads done before 100K is normal and it's also a selling point.
I looked at Discos for 6 months before buying one, every single one had head gaskets done and "some over heating issues" as the sellers like to put it.
yes its true about headgaskets needing replacement. TThe fact that you looked for 6 months and couldnt find a Disco that had not been overheated is concerning. I looked at three when I purchased my last Disco and yes i had to do the HG's but it had never overheated. Since I did the HG 20k ago i have not had any overheating issues. IF you continue to have overheating issues then there is something wrong with your rig. Perhaps you should do as most do on the forum and replace your thermostat once a year.

Quick Reply: Need Help! Looking to buy this...