Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help picking a discovery out

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 02:36 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help picking a discovery out

I'm looking for a "new" discovery but I am not sure which years to look for. I was told A D1 or an 04 because they all had locking transfer cases. I really like the inside of the d2s better and I am having a hard time only finding an 04 with decent miles. I've seen tons of 00-03s. I'm looking to get one I can drive whenever I want, take camping, go on different off road trails. My wife and I are planning on taking our sons to the silver lake sand dunes next month if I can find a decent reliable Discovery in time. Any help/adive would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:38 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

A Discovery 2 with production dates of 99'-6/2001 are equipped with a locking transfer case, but do not have the shifter to actuate the dif lock. You can buy a D1 shifter assembly and install and you will have the locking feature.

I sell the D1 shifters as do other members. Prices range from 100-150. Probably a leisurely 3-4 hour install.

The 03-04' discoveries are the best looking and equipped in my opinion and also have a larger motor, but... This 4.6 motor is also known to be the most problematic with the 03' years having a serious oil pump issue.

I think putting a deadline of next month on buying a car is going to put you in a desperate position, thus making your purchase hasty. Not something you want to do when buying a Discovery.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by abran
A Discovery 2 with production dates of 99'-6/2001 are equipped with a locking transfer case, but do not have the shifter to actuate the dif lock. You can buy a D1 shifter assembly and install and you will have the locking feature.

I sell the D1 shifters as do other members. Prices range from 100-150. Probably a leisurely 3-4 hour install.

The 03-04' discoveries are the best looking and equipped in my opinion and also have a larger motor, but... This 4.6 motor is also known to be the most problematic with the 03' years having a serious oil pump issue.

I think putting a deadline of next month on buying a car is going to put you in a desperate position, thus making your purchase hasty. Not something you want to do when buying a Discovery.
I do not have to get it by next month. I am not going to buy one just to buy one if I can get one within the next month or before it gets too cold outside we'd like to take it to the MI dunes. Is the 04 not worth it then because of the 4.6 motor? Is the 04 the only one that has the locking transfer case and not the 03? What about getting one without the locking transfer case and just adding front and rear lockers? Is that not the same concept as the locking transfer case? Maybe even better?

Maybe a dumb question but how many miles are too many? Should I try and stay under certain amount? I am see a lot with 120,000-135,000

Last edited by sbrodacz; 08-06-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

03' does not have a locking transfer case.

I think an 04' that has been well maintained is worth the money. Over 70-100k make sure the head gaskets have been done. I would rather have a well maintained 120-140k vehicle with the HG job done than a 70-80k vehicle with head gaskets not done and who knows what else.

Air lockers vs locking t case? You would have to ask a member with air lockers... But I can say that locally in so cal I can get a used locking t case for $250 and pay $300 to have it installed if I didn't want to do it myself. One air locker new is close to $1000.

Other members should be commenting shortly to give some alternate opinions.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Drifting

Makes sense. I'll look for an 04. If I cannot find the one I want I may just have to go with an 03 and eventually swap the transfercase.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:50 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For all but the most serious off-roading, the differential lock shouldn't be a deal breaker. I take my LR through all the crap I've subjected any other 4WD vehicle to (and then some; here in CO, there's no shortage of places to go try and get stuck), and the traction control is decent on these. It's not as though you're sacrificing all of its off-road usefulness, hardly the case.

But yes, all else equal or if wheeling is the main purpose of the LR, you'd want to have it. But don't turn down the others based on the lack of CDL unless the above applies to you.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have an 04...spent months looking for one (nationwide) with low mileage. Probably a better idea to go with what arban recommended. 04's are far more expen$ive and for the extra coin, you can swap out the headlights, put in a T-case lever and have a more reliable (albeit less powerful) motor with a couple grand left over. I ended up spending $6K within the first 6 months replacing a 50K mi engine that was babied all it's life. Regardless of how it was treated, the 4.6's are prone to fail. Having said that, I plan to keep this vehicle for a loooong time, so I don't mind much and feel that eventually, I'll get my money/sweat/blood's worth.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:48 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

and 03 are cheaper because of their known engine issues .
just had to throw that out there for the 03 owners.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dan7
I have an 04...spent months looking for one (nationwide) with low mileage. Probably a better idea to go with what arban recommended. 04's are far more expen$ive and for the extra coin, you can swap out the headlights, put in a T-case lever and have a more reliable (albeit less powerful) motor with a couple grand left over. I ended up spending $6K within the first 6 months replacing a 50K mi engine that was babied all it's life. Regardless of how it was treated, the 4.6's are prone to fail. Having said that, I plan to keep this vehicle for a loooong time, so I don't mind much and feel that eventually, I'll get my money/sweat/blood's worth.
Isn't it more than just the head lights though with the 03 and 04s? Aren't the interiors different? If it was just the head light I wouldn't even consider the 03 or 04s. I do like the head lights but that would not be the only reason I would get a 03 or 04. I do plan on keeping the LR for a while as long as it is in good shape. My last LR was a 97 Discovery and it was just junk. The last thing I would want to have to worry about is engine problems and having to replace an engine. I would not want to spend 5-6k on one and then double that because of engine failure.

QuakerJ,
The LR will not be used primarily for off roading. I'll use it on the roads mainly but would like to take the family camping and on trails when possible. I used to be really into off roading when I had a built wrangler but I am not sure how much I will really be able to do with the LR and kids.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Only interior difference I know of is the CDL shifter ****. Exterior there's the fatty roof rails on the 04 as well. Not sure about the rear tail lights but it's all fairly minor.

Quick Reply: Need help picking a discovery out