Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help with Unfamiliar Ringing Sound - Front of Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 03:12 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Update... finally some dry weather this morning.

Took off the fan and ran the engine without the fan... the ringing sound is still there. Unfortunately, it was still difficult to determine the sound. I know some has used a the screw-driver "stethescope" approach to diagnose the sound. However, I felt it was too risky with a running engine. Therefore, I pulled the belt off.

The idler gear below the A/C compressor sounds grindey:

The main idler tensioner pulley also sounds like it may need replacing soon:

The alternator pulley and the a/c compressor clutch assembly rolls smoothly.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:24 PM
Received 1,145 Likes on 791 Posts

@acg you can run for a couple of minutes from cold with no belt.

Make sure everything is turned off heat etc.
Have someone else start the Disco
If the ringing is gone you know it one of those parts

I have an new idler, my old tensioner as well as an alternator I can drop off or help you with.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:16 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

Great reminder about running it without the belt to re-check if it is indeed belt component related!

I ran the engine cold for a few minutes. The ringing sound is still there. It turns out the problem is the crankshaft pulley. There is a brass colored type collar ring behind the pulley. The collar ring seems to have separated somehow. This explains why is it rattling when idling. But the rattling goes away when power is applied to the engine (probably centrigual force is holding it in place).

Last edited by acg; 06-28-2020 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:20 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

I am not clear on the purpose of this brass ring. It appears from the Rover Parts webpage that piece seems to be press-fit against the shaft. But man is this is an expensive part at $600+!

https://www.roverparts.com/engine/pu...ts/LHG000060G/

Last edited by acg; 06-28-2020 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:36 PM

@acg give Don at Rovalution a call on Monday, that looks like splash guard to protect from oil leaks to me but I do not know. The other possibility is the bolt that holds that on has come lose, it should not but it is possible so call Don and get a quick opinion on the phone.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:55 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

Placeholder.... there are some pics in this old thread below which shows more close up views of the crankshaft pulley:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...k-right-82479/

Old 06-28-2020, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,674 Posts

Protects the front seal, but you should be able to snag a crankshaft pulley from a junk yard pretty easily if you can locate one at a salvage yard near you.

Old 06-28-2020, 09:45 PM

@Best4x4 yea I wish it was so easy, there is one wrecker he has 3 discos and only 2 with engines in place, he might have 1 RRC with a 4.6

And @acg is only about 40 minutes from me, but it seems to me if that was replaced when they put the Turner in it might be covered

Old 06-28-2020, 09:48 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

I appreciate everyone's help. I am souring the local area for a crankshaft pulley. However, the local market in Vancouver is pretty scarce at the moment. A couple of questions.....

Re: cranks pulleys...
Just checking to be on the safe side. Are they the same for 1999 to 2004?

Re: stuck crankshaft pulley...
Just in case I get come across a "stuck" crankshaft pulley and need to use a crank pulley tool..... would a generic one like this work?

Amazon Amazon

My research is telling me the above generic puller tool will work as long as I use two M8 bolts to secure the puller tool to the body of the pulley.

Last edited by acg; 06-28-2020 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-28-2020, 10:02 PM
acg
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
@Best4x4 yea I wish it was so easy, there is one wrecker he has 3 discos and only 2 with engines in place, he might have 1 RRC with a 4.6

And @acg is only about 40 minutes from me, but it seems to me if that was replaced when they put the Turner in it might be covered
Richard,

I looked up my invoice for the Turner engine. The invoice did not show a new crankshaft pulley was installed. It does show a new waterpump and thermostat though.

The new tensioner and pulleys which I supplied to the shop (at the time of the Turner engine installation work) were not installed by the shop. They used the old parts. The new parts were still sitting inside the truck when I got her back from the engine installation job. I was disappointed that my request was ignored. However, I decided not to touch the engine until the one year warranty expired this March. I figured this was a simple enough job which I could do on my own sometime later this year. Now is a good time to change the idler tensioner and pulleys.

Last edited by acg; 06-28-2020 at 10:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Help with Unfamiliar Ringing Sound - Front of Engine