Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with Windshield - Carolinas

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 03:45 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Need help with Windshield - Carolinas

Ladies and gentlemen, it happened. A semi send a rock my way and now I got a crack in the windshield. Would love to replace it with a genuine OEM glass - seems I can source it from the forum sponsor. Question: which should should I trust? Any tips will help.

I plan to do all the prep work and strip the plastics before bringing the car to the shop.

Cheers, --mc

Old 01-31-2022, 05:24 PM
Winching
Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

What prep work are you referring to? In a lot of states. glass coverage by your insurance is mandatory. My windshield was done by safelite with OEM heated glass. Check your insurance coverage first.

Old 01-31-2022, 05:26 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by matt3502
What prep work are you referring to? In a lot of states. glass coverage by your insurance is mandatory. My windshield was done by safelite with OEM heated glass. Check your insurance coverage first.
I will remove the cowl, the A-pillar coverings, and the weatherstrip myself. Don't trust technicians with that.
When you say "OEM" glass, are you referring to the tinted Pilkinton glass?

Old 01-31-2022, 06:13 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 892 Likes on 643 Posts

Safelite used Pilkington glass here in Charlotte when they replaced the windshield in my truck 10-12 years ago. As for heated versus unheated, I think insurance replaces with a heated windshield if that's what it had before. I toyed with seeing how much it would cost to upgrade to the heated windshield, but ended up not bothering because, after all, I live in Charlotte!

I didn't do any "pre-work", and it turned out fine, but I appreciate you wanting to take precautions and avoid the hassle of having to deal with getting anyone to replace the A-pillar trim, etc. On the other hand, if they break anything, they're on the hook to fix it whereas if you break it you're on your own!

Old 01-31-2022, 06:16 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by mln01
Safelite used Pilkington glass here in Charlotte when they replaced the windshield in my truck 10-12 years ago. As for heated versus unheated, I think insurance replaces with a heated windshield if that's what it had before. I toyed with seeing how much it would cost to upgrade to the heated windshield, but ended up not bothering because, after all, I live in Charlotte!

I didn't do any "pre-work", and it turned out fine, but I appreciate you wanting to take precautions and avoid the hassle of having to deal with getting anyone to replace the A-pillar trim, etc. On the other hand, if they break anything, they're on the hook to fix it whereas if you break it you're on your own!
Scheduled an appointment with Safelite. I am wondering if they still have experience with '04 Rovers, as these are not as common any more.

Old 01-31-2022, 07:24 PM
Camel Trophy

Have you checked to see whether or not your insurance will cover the cost of the new windshield, perhaps less a small deductible? Or maybe you've dropped comprehensive coverage on an 18 year old truck.

Old 01-31-2022, 07:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by mln01
Have you checked to see whether or not your insurance will cover the cost of the new windshield, perhaps less a small deductible? Or maybe you've dropped comprehensive coverage on an 18 year old truck.
Cost is not an issue. My biggest concern is finding qualified help. What parts do I need to get? Presume a windscreen and a weatherstrip. Anything else?

Old 01-31-2022, 09:00 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

I recommend not removing the plastic yourself. You're also highly liable to break it, but if the installer breaks it the company buys you new plastic.

Safelite is a big company. Most of their technicians are qualified, but if there's an issue the company is big enough that they'll take care of it.

Last edited by Alex_M; 01-31-2022 at 09:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:25 PM
Camel Trophy

Alex is expanding on the point I made. You're likely better off to just let Safelite do the job, beginning to end. If something gets broken it's on them to fix it. And, you don't need to buy anything in advance. Safelite will supply what's needed.

Last edited by mln01; 01-31-2022 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2022, 09:46 PM
TReK
Received 504 Likes on 419 Posts

There are a lot of Chinese windshields out there... Both heated and non heated... They don't last as long... a few years of highway travel and all you see is micro pitting. I wish State Farm would pay for Pilkington glass... I got them to use it when I had a rear door glass broken due to a car prowl when I noticed the tint was a different color and Safelite did replace it with one that matched which turns out was Pilkington. Never had that happen with the heated windscreen though and I've been through four or five now.

Quick Reply: Need help with Windshield - Carolinas