Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Input, looking @ purchasing my first Rover

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 11:03 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Input, looking @ purchasing my first Rover

Ok guys, here's the quick situation. I am looking at picking up an 04 Series II SE.

I already wanted to cover my *** so I paid the local Rover dealership to check it out for me. Some things I expected, some I did not.

One thing I am curious about is the head gasket. I know they all seep oil from reading the forums, but my question is the coolant leak.

I noticed a very small amount of coolant. We are talking a single drop of coolant on the back of the driver side head.

As Rover owners, would you all still buy this vehicle? The other specs, it has 81k on it, driveshaft is good, 60k been done, maintained at LR Buckhead.

The only other maintenance things I am going to address are simple, i.e. regulators, o2 sensor, serp belt.

The only other concerns I have is a slight rough feeling like a misfire at idle, but not codes for it, and a small vibration at about 40 mph.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:18 PM
3rd Gear

Oh, I also left out I would be purchasing the vehicle for 10k.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:03 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

It is actually the valve covers, not that head gaskets, that leak oil. You're looking at about $1500 to have the head gaskets replaced. Even a small leak in a head gasket can become a major problem very quick. If you buy it find an independent mechanic and have a pressure test done on the cooling system. The dealer will rip you off. You'll need to have the front driveshaft rebuilt with greaseable u-joints if it hasn't already been. This is something a dealer won't do. The dealer will only sell you another driveshaft with the non-greaseable u-joints. If your front driveshaft fails you're looking at buying a new transmission. 10k seems high, especially in the current economy, for a vehicle that is going to need head gaskets at least.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AK is right-on here. I've an '04 SE7 that I bought back in Sept/Oct with 42k on the clock, I took it in for the 45k service and found out the head gaskets were leaking too. I was lucky that there were a couple of months of warranty left on the truck when I bought it, and as such the work was covered by LR. My independent LR mechanic priced the job at 1150, at the dealer it would have cost me $3500 had it not been covered by warranty! There's a reason LR dealerships are often referred to as "stealerships"... For a truck that needs work, the price is too high. Pending everything else is in good order, I'd go all-in on that truck at 8k. Between the head-gaskets and the various other odds & ends, you're probably looking at 2k in maintenance very early in your ownership.

Good luck!

By the way, you'll LOVE the truck regardless!

Old 03-13-2009, 02:26 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks guys for all of your input thus far!

Luckily, with something such as the driveshaft, I am a former mechanic and still have the tools I would need to remove it as well as fit it with greasable u-joints. The driveshaft has no play in it whatsoever thus far, but the bolts look new too so it might have been replaced already.

The independent dealer went ahead and cleaned off the heads where the oil appeared to be seeping as well the ONE DROP of coolant, and let it run for 45 mins and noticed no more coolant. I also had another former LR tech look at it and he said it could've possibly been from when the gasket on the throttle body was replaced(a little blowback)

I agree 10k seems a little high, but that's actually with him coming down on the price...

Is it a guarantee I'll need the head gaskets replaced? If so, I have an independent tech I'd go to, who is also a former LR tech who now owns his own shop.

I have driven Discoveries in the past, and fell in love with them. This is why I would love to purchase one, but at what cost?

Oh, and he already did the O2 sensor, brake pads, and serp belt this morning, a little added +

I'll keep you all up-to-date, and thanks again for all of your help!

Future Rover Owner,

P.S. I also have to see what I get approved for at the credit union...

Old 03-14-2009, 06:57 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts