Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at purchasing and need some advice

Old 06-08-2009, 11:07 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at purchasing and need some advice

New to the board and I have been reading up on all I can find about purchasing a Land Rover. The one I'm looking at is a 1996 Land Rover Discovery SE with about 95000 miles. The interior needs a little work. They are asking $4995 for it. It needs a couple of new window seals, new tires, and a good wash/wax. I haven't had a chance to test drive it yet (planning on it tomorrow) so I'm not sure how she runs. I've read the posts about what to look for and everything.
The problem is that where I live, there aren't too many LR owners around and the nearest dealer is 2 hours away. So I just need some opinions on if I should seriously consider it or pass on it. Oh and the reason I'm getting this is that I decided to go hunting with my jeep and got me a good size doe with it. I'm also on a fixed budget of about 8000 so I can work on getting it up to par.
Thanks!!

Old 06-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I am assuming that you have read this.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21328
Are you a DIY'er? If so the DI is perfect for you, parts are generaly cheap and there are plenty of used parts out there, you dont need the dealer for much if anything.
My dealer is 20 min away and the only time I go there is to take a ride over the off road course.
Go drive the truck, take a not pad with you and write down anything that you have questions about.
Check EVERYTHING and see if it works or not, your test drive should take a hour.
If the check engine light is on take it to a autoparts store and they can read the codes for free, wriet them down and we can tell you what is what.
As for the interior, if the seats are coming apart at the seams than you will need to visit a upholstry shop, get new seats or buy seat covers.
If you condition the seats at least twice a year they will look good and last forever.
Check the price of the truck on these sites, check all 3 sites, with rough interior I would deduct $1000 from that price.
www.kbb.com
www.nada.com
www.edmunds.com
Get back to us after you drive it.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to get some info on service history (paper work) if not you should be able to get it cheaper.
The 02 sensors where due at 82,500 miles and run $115 USD each so thats $460 if you do it yourself.
All Classic Disco's leak a little oil but should not leak anything else.
Make sure the Transfer case works (center Diff).
It sounds like its time for work and they don't want to put the money in it at this point.
If the oil change's have been done reg, the motor should be good for another 60,000 miles.
Ask about head gaskets.

I'm thinking about $3000 from what you have said tires, window gaskets, and no service history.

Good luck.