Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to lower my Disco...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 10:08 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need to lower my Disco...

Well, you could do an air-spring conversion. Put a RR air-suspension on and then you could lower it to the stops when you need the extra room.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:00 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought my condo was bad for clearance but clearly there are worse ones. I seriously doubt the advisability of lowering your suspension or even using smaller section tyres, which in addition to reducing the ground clearance will result in lower effective overall gearing. I don't know anything about building regulations in the US but if this was in the UK I doubt that such a limited clearance would be allowed. I know it doesn't help you directly but it may be worth contacting your authority which regulates building design and construction to see if it complies. At least that way you may get some financial compensation.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:07 PM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a bad situation, I think a rover is the last vehicle on earth that should be lowered. If you do figure a way to get it into the garage (air suspension is probably the best), don't forget to close the sunroof(s) on your way into the garage!!!
[align=left] [/align]

Old 08-29-2007, 05:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

OK I have determined that I can get the car in / out of the garage if I remove the rear cross bars... Soo...

Once I take them out, how do I cover the holes? should I have a body shop fill them??

Old 08-29-2007, 08:54 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Check this out... http://discoweb.org/ click on the tech tab, and then on the left, click on roof rail removal. You should be able to run by your local electrical parts house and tell them you need to fill the hole. You have a D2, so I don't know the size, but they should be able to get you what you need. Tell them you need a 3R knockout filler (rain tight) for whatever size you need.

The one pictured is just rubber, but they make something that looks like a flat umbrella with a gasket on the bottom. The "handle" of The umbrella will be threaded. Stick that through the hole, put the retaining washer on the back, the tighten with a nut. YOu can paint the top to match you truck, but they come in gunmetal grey so it won't be too noticable. If you need help finding the part, get the size and give me a shout.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool , good for you. But make sure that it will still fit when the gas tank is low on gas , and also that when winter comes, ice doesn't gather around the entrance creating a speed bump type step.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: okdiscoguy

Check this out... http://discoweb.org/ click on the tech tab, and then on the left, click on roof rail removal. You should be able to run by your local electrical parts house and tell them you need to fill the hole. You have a D2, so I don't know the size, but they should be able to get you what you need. Tell them you need a 3R knockout filler (rain tight) for whatever size you need.

The one pictured is just rubber, but they make something that looks like a flat umbrella with a gasket on the bottom. The "handle" of The umbrella will be threaded. Stick that through the hole, put the retaining washer on the back, the tighten with a nut. YOu can paint the top to match you truck, but they come in gunmetal grey so it won't be too noticable. If you need help finding the part, get the size and give me a shout.
UPDATE:

This worked great, btw: http://discoweb.org/roofrails/index.htm

Apparently LR has not changed the hole size... I ordered these fromSteele Products, 1-800-544-8665, Part # 35-0517-45, 1-3/8" plugs with a 1-3/4" cap.
Took a little silicone and put them on... fit perfectly.
Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 09-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

glad to hear it worked!

Old 09-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Low profile tires

Old 09-19-2007, 09:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woo hoo!!! Glad to hear we don't havea bastard lowereddisco on the road!! [sm=partyparty.gif]

Quick Reply: Need to lower my Disco...