Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a pep talk. Disheartened by Disco parts lately.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 06:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,503 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayFunday
The Land Rover mentor of mine aided me to fix a water pump fail on my first disco I had only weeks into driving it (great story as I think back of it) - this immediately followed a radiator issue which had me tearing down the cooling system replacing the radiator on account of the plastic shroud screw on top the day I took on the truck in a parking lot.. so I too was a bit disheartened within weeks of D2 ownership.

This rover guru told me in his experience you don’t want to use the gasket seal to the water pump - rather use some gasket maker because the gaskets are a little too thick - In turn pushing the pulley just past sweet spot in rotation of belt orientation, generating excessive wear to the water pump bearing. (Pre mature failure) he spoke about the fan even being pushed out too far for his liking as a result of this Too.

I’ve replaced a water pump in two following discos that way since - defiantly not purchasing LR water pumps either
Some food for thought in your application here perhaps.
I doubt .030" is going to make a difference in bearing load, we do bearing calculations all day as part of my job, that tiny change in cantilever load is not going to make a significant difference.

Old 06-29-2021, 10:28 AM
Winching
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Is this something unique to LR parts, or just a statement on the general quality of parts available today?

Would doing something like an LS swap improve the availability of quality parts?

Old 06-29-2021, 10:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 442 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by robert.juric
Is this something unique to LR parts, or just a statement on the general quality of parts available today?

Would doing something like an LS swap improve the availability of quality parts?
Before leaving the BMW world about five years ago, I could get nearly any part I needed from the BMW dealer if needed for my E30 and E36, which are about the equivalent age as the Disco is. OEM parts never failed. I only have that one brand to compare to, but it almost makes my issue with LR more frustrating. Like, I know it's not like this for other Euro brands.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:07 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

@robert.juric Parts in general can be a crap shoot, too much stuff farmed out to the lowest bidder

Old 07-03-2021, 07:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Brandon318
Before leaving the BMW world about five years ago, I could get nearly any part I needed from the BMW dealer if needed for my E30 and E36, which are about the equivalent age as the Disco is. OEM parts never failed. I only have that one brand to compare to, but it almost makes my issue with LR more frustrating. Like, I know it's not like this for other Euro brands.
Agreed. I am impressed how easily you can get even the most odd parts for Bimmers. LR is hit and miss. I usually buy the most expensive parts form the most reputable shops I can find; they're okay. Also, see if you can order from the UK. Add a bunch of stuff to save on shipping.