Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a quick answer re DIFFS and water

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 10:48 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Hopefully everyones safe

Originally Posted by Charlie_V
Thanks dro. I recall replacing the seals--giant o rings--when I replaced my hubs and didn't see how they would keep much out of submerged.

The trickle continues. This is the bass pro shop in denham springs, with is a couple of miles before Walker from Baton Rouge and on the other side of the highway. The highway above the top of the flooded picture. I dont want to go too non rover here but it looks like a lake. I'm sure it is blocked off so I don't even know how to get to them. I'm going to stop and get an old school map. But they are actually at a hotel just beyond the bass pro parking lot. Maybe the water will be down by the time I get there.

So much for dinner at Hooters (red roof to the left).

Old 08-15-2016, 06:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
Hopefully everyones safe
Thanks. Family is safe. But frazzled and without even a change of clothes. A friend with a boat visually confirmed their nice, modern, brick house has about 6 feet of water in it; just below the top of the front door. Even their boat is under water, as are all of the homes in their neighborhood. Kids will be with me for weeks.

My diffs now seem like a petty concern under the circumstances, but I am positive the diffs got submerged. Lower fog lights are half full of water. Carpet is dry. I'll check the RAVE but I assume I just need to thoroughly drain the diffs and fill them back up. I'll check when I get home but if anyone has any tips, please post.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 966 Likes on 643 Posts

Just a drain and refill should get you good. Nothing special. If it comes out milky, drive it around for a while and change it again.

I'm glad to hear that the family is safe, Charlie.

Old 08-15-2016, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Man I wish had seen this thread earlier. I'm not sure how you got down to I-10 from Longview, TX, but I am off of I-10 just east of Beaumont, TX. If you're back in this area let me know if you need some help one weekend getting supplies or stuff out to LA I should be available.

Diff wise just drain, and if it comes out milky I'd fill em with some cheap stuff from Wal-Mart, then run em a bit, and drain and fill with what you normally use and call it a day. If comes out normal looking just fill with whatever you use and you're good to go.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:10 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Man I wish had seen this thread earlier. I'm not sure how you got down to I-10 from Longview, TX, but I am off of I-10 just east of Beaumont, TX. If you're back in this area let me know if you need some help one weekend getting supplies or stuff out to LA I should be available.

Diff wise just drain, and if it comes out milky I'd fill em with some cheap stuff from Wal-Mart, then run em a bit, and drain and fill with what you normally use and call it a day. If comes out normal looking just fill with whatever you use and you're good to go.
Thanks for that. I'm on my way back to ETX now with kids and a large dog but I'm leaving again tomorrow to take a travel trailer, generator, ladders, power tools, first aid kit, water, clothes, shoes, etc. Apparently you have to get sheet rock off immediately or it turns to mold down there so thats the task along with salvaging anything we can. My in laws were so traumatized they had to be reminded to call their insurance company... tonight.

Their boat was found tied seven feet up a Walmart parking lot light pole 2 miles from their house. Someone used it to evac. All of the life vests were made as small as possible. Like for small children. What hell.

I saw the situation on 10 on the news, so I drove to Shreveport and took 49 down then cross country to get as far east as possible before the atchafalaya (I can't spell it), but 49 and 10 east were literally a lake in some areas and it was worse north of Baton Rouge. The Rover will stay home (travel trailer I'm taking back is just too heavy to pull) in favor of the pickup that I'm just going to leave with them, so illl have to get the diffs when I return this weekend. I'll fill and drain them as you and Alex suggested, whether they need it or not. I replaced my hubs and half shafts not long ago and the idea of them rusting sets my teeth on edge.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-15-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Many 100/500 year flooding events recently are the result of the "culverization" and development over the years. Bridges with more capacity to alleviate backed up water are no longer built. FEMA and local govt's care less about those affected. Locals go for the cheaper route of culverts and creating a dam over drainage.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:33 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by number9
Many 100/500 year flooding events recently are the result of the "culverization" and development over the years. Bridges with more capacity to alleviate backed up water are no longer built. FEMA and local govt's care less about those affected. Locals go for the cheaper route of culverts and creating a dam over drainage.
That's a great point. Last time I visited them I walked along the main road to their subdivision and saw water in the ditches that was only a couple of feet below the road, and I thought a slight rain would fill everything up. But they weathered Katrina and other hurricanes without even water in the yard, so something surely changed in the intervening years to have six to ten feet in their house and the entire subdivision from rain that couldn't have reached Katrina levels.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-15-2016 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Yeah we had serious flooding when the Dam at Toledo Bend had to stay open to avoid the earth dam from breaking. It caused the Sabine River from that point on to flood everything in it's path. Just horrible!

If you need anything my cell is 832-771-3381.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:13 AM
Camel Trophy

Thanks Best!

I made it home just before 2am heavy 5 kids and an 80 pound boxer. The Rover did great but I really do need to figure out the brake booster; for another thread, later.. About 16 hours continuous run time. The diff's may be full of water but, if so, rover diffs run fine on water. As I type, I am almost to lafayette on the return trip with a travel trailer (in pickup, not rover, this time). I'm a little tired.

Just want to thank you all for responding here so quickly and also for the emails. There are a few members of this forum who really set the tone with thoughtful and quick responses and welll wishes, and I'm glad that many of them are in this thread.

Headed back to help document everything for insurance before we start pulling it all out. Thankfully, they have flood insurance.

Old 08-16-2016, 11:41 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Good on you Charlie for helping out those in need, and glad to hear everyone is safe...

Your diffs will be fine - just drain and refill per others comments.

Quick Reply: Need a quick answer re DIFFS and water