Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a quick answer re DIFFS and water

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

No problem sir & keep us posted.

Old 08-16-2016, 01:24 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Your one hell of a guy Mr CharlieV

Originally Posted by number9
Many 100/500 year flooding events recently are the result of the "culverization" and development over the years. Bridges with more capacity to alleviate backed up water are no longer built. FEMA and local govt's care less about those affected. Locals go for the cheaper route of culverts and creating a dam over drainage.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Quick post. Totally exhausted.

Here is the sum total of the work today. Sadly, in laws have flood insurance for building but not contents.

Boat is still at Walmart. We can't find the trailer. You can't see in the picture but the life vests are tied very small for children and tied together. I'm glad someone made good use of it. Im still stumped on how to lift it, but we will figure it out.

Speaking of pictures, of course we videotaped and took pictures in the house before moving anything, but people are not taking pictures like you would expect. Maybe everyone's phone got wet. But I started to take pictures and just felt.... rude. No one else is taking pictures, either. Holding a phone up to take pictures just seems like the most frivolous, low, thing ever. I would not have guessed that before.

We had a lot of fun in that boat just a few weeks ago in the lagoon at Gulf Shores.

Finally, since I am being low and posting pictures, here are a couple posted by friends and friends of friends that are similar to wha I saw on the way down the first time. I couldn't see what I was driving over in some places and I was afraid there would be a sinkhole. This shows I was real close in my fears. I also saw more alligators and Beavers (which are VICIOUS little rodents, trust me!) Than I've ever seen.

Since the news at the time wasn't saying much I had this experience like when you walk out and your truck is wet because you left the windows down based on the forecast of no rain, and it poured. Except I was driving in it and got the feeling that I would be the next one in need of rescue! Thankfully, not the case.

I think the lack of a hurricane or any expectation of the event resulted in news organizations, and normal people, being caught unaware. I heard today that 30 or 40 thousand people had been flooded out. In the picture I posted on the Bass Pro Shop... that is Denham Springs. 90 percent of the buildings (commercial and residential) in that city flooded. My brother in law is a boat captain and was working to get barges that had floated away grounded (and then ungrounded as the river went down, before they were just stuck) without deck hands (think about that on a large tug boat, on the Mississippi, at night... leave boat in gear, pushing against barge, run outside with no one to keep an eye on you, tie on barge, run back, all while family is at hotel literally surrounded by rising water. These are BIG boats that have quarters, gyms,, etc. And dont touch a dock for a week or more at a time) and when he returned from work his pickup was up to the roof in the parking lot.

Okay back to it. I'll not post anymore here. I'm not a Facebook person and I've strayed from the theme here. We will be finishing up by the end of the weekend, then back to get the younger kids enrolled in school.

Again, I appreciate all of the well wishes and emails. I'm fine. I'm actually lucky... my house is just fine. If I can get done without getting a single cut (this is not a place to get cut!) Or snake bite, I'll be in great shape.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 08-17-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Thanks for the update. Truly a sad situation!