Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need recommendations for 12 point socket kits for caliper job

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 02:46 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Smile need recommendations for 12 point socket kits for caliper job

Prepping for a brake overhaul next week and I need 2 12 point metric sockets for the caliper bolts: 13 mm and 19 mm. Anyways I'm looking to expand my tool collection (gradually) without spending a fortune, so I'm looking at getting a 10-15 piece 12 point metric socket set and wanted to know what and where you guys got yours. I found a nice set on amazon last week for $40 and it had both the 13mm and 19 mm 12 point sockets..... but forgot to bookmark it and now I can't find the bloody thing!

FYI I'm using this source for a guide to my upcoming brake job:

DIY: Part I — Replacing Rear Rotors and Brake Pads on a Land Rover Discovery II - MAVROMATIC

DIY: Part II — Replacing Front Rotors and Brake Pads on a Land Rover Discovery II - MAVROMATIC

Old 12-07-2012, 02:51 AM
TReK

Oh and I always wanted to know what you guys think I should use for those hard to reach caliper bolts: standard sockets or deep sockets?

Old 12-07-2012, 03:34 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Prepping for a brake overhaul next week and I need 2 12 point metric sockets for the caliper bolts: 13 mm and 19 mm. Anyways I'm looking to expand my tool collection (gradually) without spending a fortune, so I'm looking at getting a 10-15 piece 12 point metric socket set and wanted to know what and where you guys got yours. I found a nice set on amazon last week for $40 and it had both the 13mm and 19 mm 12 point sockets..... but forgot to bookmark it and now I can't find the bloody thing!

FYI I'm using this source for a guide to my upcoming brake job:

DIY: Part I — Replacing Rear Rotors and Brake Pads on a Land Rover Discovery II - MAVROMATIC

DIY: Part II — Replacing Front Rotors and Brake Pads on a Land Rover Discovery II - MAVROMATIC
I used a standard craftsman socket set and it worked fine. If I remember correctly, deep sockets are not required. As an aside, I always crack the bleed screw when compressing the caliper piston to replace the pads. I have heard running brake fluid through the ABS modulator backwards can cause problems, so I avoid it altogether by bleeding. Remember to bleed after the brake job to make sure you get out any air in the system. Just follow the Rave procedure and you will be okay.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:43 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by willrok13
I used a standard craftsman socket set and it worked fine. If I remember correctly, deep sockets are not required. As an aside, I always crack the bleed screw when compressing the caliper piston to replace the pads. I have heard running brake fluid through the ABS modulator backwards can cause problems, so I avoid it altogether by bleeding. Remember to bleed after the brake job to make sure you get out any air in the system. Just follow the Rave procedure and you will be okay.
Thanks for the tip. I'm actually replacing both front calipers, all rotors/pads and the brake master cylinder so once its all installed I'll bleed the system.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:45 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
Thanks for the tip. I'm actually replacing both front calipers, all rotors/pads and the brake master cylinder so once its all installed I'll bleed the system.
Which pads/rotors did you go with? I opted for the Akebono Ceramic Euro pads with EBS dimpled/slotted rotors. Never stopped better, and no brake dust!

Old 12-07-2012, 04:09 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by willrok13
Which pads/rotors did you go with? I opted for the Akebono Ceramic Euro pads with EBS dimpled/slotted rotors. Never stopped better, and no brake dust!
Had planned on upgrading to performance EBC rotors and akebono ceramic pads, BUT front calipers and pads just **** the bed and I was planning on getting the performance parts until January 2013 Sooooo for now here's what I'm going with as a temporary measure to get me through this winter:

Land Rover Discovery II Brake Rebuild Kits: Land Rover Brake Kits Online

Brake Master Cylinder (SJC000110 Same Fit As Part # PMN222) - Land Rover hydraulics from Atlantic British

Caliper Guide Pin Kit - Front (Genuine Part # STC1920) - Land Rover hydraulics from Atlantic British

Caliper Front RH (Part # SEG000030) - Land Rover hydraulics from Atlantic British

Caliper Front LH (Part # SEG000060) - Land Rover hydraulics from Atlantic British

Castrol Brake Fluid For land Rovers And Range Rovers

Old 12-07-2012, 04:12 AM
TReK

So come late January 2013 I'll replace both rear calipers, and add stainless steel brake lines and once these new rotors get low enough I'll swap them out for EBC and the Akebono pads.....

Old 12-07-2012, 04:52 AM
TReK