Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some guidance for tie rod end parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 10:49 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
I've been dealing with Al since '80, never had any issues.
The slow down has a lot to do with one person who used to work there and was, unfortunately, on several forums. He's been gone a while.
It's for sale because Al is just ready to retire and do some traveling. He's in his 70's now I believe.
I really miss VT and if I had the cash reserves I'd be talking to him.
Ive never met Al before. Just a guy named Lu and a British women by the name of Paula. Is Al the owner?

So Atlantic British sells 2 already assembled kits one for the lower tie rod end and the other for the upper tie rod end. Grand total for both kits is around $318. AB recommends replacing both because if one is bad then the other is not far behind. Im also going to replace all 4 nuts. Apparently the tie rod ends are already attached to the rods so all I have to do is install them on the truck. Ill also get a quote for both rod assemblies from RoversNorth.

Considering they are already put together, how easy is it to install them? Do you still have to rotate the rods several times like you would if you were attaching a tie rod end to the rod? Or is it as simple as line it up and bolt it on and be on your way?

Last edited by TRIARII; 02-15-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Yeah, I did. I was just stating the real reason for its sale.
As for the asking price, I never asked Al what it was, but there's a lot more than just parts inventory to consider. Though I've never been to the VT location, he moved there after I left VT. I went to the Wareham place a number of times though. That's where I bought my Air Portable.
He approached me in '82 about running a west coast branch for him, I guess I should have taken him up on it.
According to his web site, he's asking $65k. There's way more in stock than that. Plus, you can go from fixing a Rover most of the time to fixing Rovers all of the time!

Last edited by 04duxlr; 02-15-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,481 Likes on 1,209 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
I know..did you not read my 2nd post? I have nothing against DAP, I also know it was the fault of that one guy, can't recall his name now.

I just know that it wasn't worth what he was asking.
Steve Young is the guy that ruined his business. That and some shoddy work that I saw first hand coming out of his repair shop.

65k seems pretty reasonable depending on how the shop is equipped, parts inventory and debt you assume from the business during the sale.

Last edited by ArmyRover; 02-15-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

You don't get all the parts, you don't get the building, and you acquire all his accounts payable.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
...and some shoddy work that I saw first hand coming out of his repair shop.
That's unfortunate to hear. I wonder if it was when he was only there a couple of days a week, when he was living in Wareham.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Pro Wrench

The website says you get all of the parts in stock, all of the tools and equipment owned by the shop, all fixtures and even a skid-steer. There is no inventory listed but it doesn't take too many Rover parts to get to $65k.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by 04duxlr
The website says you get all of the parts in stock, all of the tools and equipment owned by the shop, all fixtures and even a skid-steer. There is no inventory listed but it doesn't take too many Rover parts to get to $65k.
You don't get all the parts, trust me. I talked extensively with someone who went down to evaluate it with intent to buy it.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
You don't get all the parts, trust me. I talked extensively with someone who went down to evaluate it with intent to buy it.
What? You mean something posted on the internet isn't true?

Old 02-15-2013, 01:35 PM
Camel Trophy

Haha yes, can you believe it?!?

I just think if you're selling a company it's good to be up front about it.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would suggest looking at the Terrafirma upgraded track rod and drag link kit over at Lucky8. Ended up being cheaper and much easier to install. Great customer service from L8 as well. (Due to how its shipped one of the boots was torn, they shipped me a new end promptly and even threw in a T-shirt)

Rented the tie rod puller from autozone, pulled the rods out, measured it on the garage floor and put the new ones in. As a bonus I can now use D1 tie rod ends which are much cheaper and easier. Keep the truck parked on the ground with the wheels straight and its not a problem.

Actually I did have to take the wheels off to get the puller on the tie rod end. My install went: remove rod from steering box, lift passenger wheel, pop off tie rod end. Measure rod and install new one. Pop off drag link end, put tire on, lower car. Lift driver wheel, use 550 cord tied off to keep the hub from moving, pop off tie rod end. Measure and install. My alignment turned out great.

With the tie rod end puller remember SAFETY FIRST. There is a lot of tension in the tool when you are cranking on it, use a breaker bar and stay well away from it. For the steering box end you can get to it through the top of the engine bay with a long extension and a u-joint. Don't be the dumbass laying under the car when that thing pops loose.

Quick Reply: Need some guidance for tie rod end parts