Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help with a $100 D2 I picked up

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 07:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Need some help with a $100 D2 I picked up

I had to flatbed it home, Fuel pump was dead so I changed it and it now runs. It has been sitting outside for probably 3 years or maybe 10 as it had nut shells and crap in the airbox, under the wipers, above and in the blower motor in the dash, Its a work in progress to clean up. For some reason the Torque app will not pick up coolant temps off the OBD2 port, but the temp gauge on the dash moves and works. The next day I started it up and the App was reading coolant temps and then later in the day it stopped working again. Using a temp gun and watching the temps off the motor with I was reading numbers around 200 before turning off the motor to let it cool. all hoses are hot except the bottom hose off the thermostat, so it does not seem to open. I have a new TDI 180 degree thermostat coming in the mail. So why would the torque app only read coolant temps some times? also, whats the best way of changing out the old sensor, pull the Alternator? As far as I can tell when I run it up to temp and let it cool down, there is no leaks on the ground and hot heat blows threw the dash vents with no leaks inside. I did do an oil change the other day, pulled out 4 qrts and put in the larger oil filter as well, took about 6qrts to bring the oil up between the two notches on the stick. I am sure the trans fluid will look interesting as well.

What is the 3 pair wire going to the fuel pump? As the 4 pair wire that goes to the pump is power to the pump and fuel gauge wires. Some animal chewed the 3 pair wire and so I need to repair and apply some heat shrink to all 3.

Here are some codes I was able to pull with the torque app.
P1884
P1590
P0452

Ones the D2 is driving I am sure ill have more questions, this is my second D2 I have owned and they were both 99's. I am glad this one does not have ACE like my last one though. For $100 I felt I had to buy it.

Brian

Old 12-12-2020, 09:16 AM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by BS50MGSXR
I had to flatbed it home, Fuel pump was dead so I changed it and it now runs. It has been sitting outside for probably 3 years or maybe 10 as it had nut shells and crap in the airbox, under the wipers, above and in the blower motor in the dash, Its a work in progress to clean up. For some reason the Torque app will not pick up coolant temps off the OBD2 port, but the temp gauge on the dash moves and works. The next day I started it up and the App was reading coolant temps and then later in the day it stopped working again. Using a temp gun and watching the temps off the motor with I was reading numbers around 200 before turning off the motor to let it cool. all hoses are hot except the bottom hose off the thermostat, so it does not seem to open. I have a new TDI 180 degree thermostat coming in the mail. So why would the torque app only read coolant temps some times? also, whats the best way of changing out the old sensor, pull the Alternator? As far as I can tell when I run it up to temp and let it cool down, there is no leaks on the ground and hot heat blows threw the dash vents with no leaks inside. I did do an oil change the other day, pulled out 4 qrts and put in the larger oil filter as well, took about 6qrts to bring the oil up between the two notches on the stick. I am sure the trans fluid will look interesting as well.

What is the 3 pair wire going to the fuel pump? As the 4 pair wire that goes to the pump is power to the pump and fuel gauge wires. Some animal chewed the 3 pair wire and so I need to repair and apply some heat shrink to all 3.

Here are some codes I was able to pull with the torque app.
P1884
P1590
P0452

Ones the D2 is driving I am sure ill have more questions, this is my second D2 I have owned and they were both 99's. I am glad this one does not have ACE like my last one though. For $100 I felt I had to buy it.

Brian
probably wires are half broken or chewed that’s why it reads and sometimes it doesn’t

$100 how did you score that.
around here scrap yards pay up to $700 and they come get it

Old 12-12-2020, 11:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

Three pairs...
Bigger pair : power for the pump motor.
Smaller pair : fuel level sender.
The other smaller pair : tank pressure sensor (the black part on top of the assembly).

Old 12-12-2020, 01:24 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

I can assure you you will have to check every single wire in the engine compartment for damage. With that much shell husk you had a rodent infestation, also get the engine compartment steam cleaned at home there will be urine and scat scents everywhere and that will just attract more rodents

Buy a bunch if wiring loom - non soy based start on one side inspect and repair the wiring as required.

Old 12-12-2020, 01:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

$100 bucks who cares. Nice score!

Old 12-13-2020, 12:27 PM
Rock Crawling
The following users liked this post:
Wheelspin (12-26-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 01:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

Man you could recover the cost of purchase from the front bumper and winch - nice score

Old 12-13-2020, 02:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 894 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Man you could recover the cost of purchase from the front bumper and winch - nice score
The cost of the purchase and a lot more.

Again I ask - Why do deals like this never show up near me?

The following 3 users liked this post by mln01:
jastutte (12-13-2020), JUKE179r (12-14-2020), Richard Gallant (12-14-2020)
Old 12-14-2020, 06:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow $100 was a awesome deal, the bull bar is worth more than that LOL.
Funny I just bought one a week ago but I didn't pay 100 for it... More like 550, without the rodent problem but like any rover I've seen leaking loads of oil LOL.

Old 12-26-2020, 10:07 PM
Rock Crawling

Got the new 180 Thermostat installed, temps looked good and I deff need to turn the band clamp a few more turns on the lower hose that goes from the bottom of the thermostat to the lower rad as it was dripping some on the short drive.

So drove it about 2 miles down the road to my Brothers house and when I pulled into the drive way the throttled idled up and I had to tap the throttle peddle to get it to idle back down. Some more driving and notice the throttle is deff sticky somewhere. seems to be at the peddle end as the throttle body side moves pretty well without getting stuck, so I was basically just pulling the peddle back up with my foot to get the idle back to normal. it does not appear to look to complicated to change out the throttle cable and looks like a new one can be had on Ebay for like $55 with free shipping. The cable does not look bad, but idk? Also tried to get the head lights to work, pulled a bunch of fuses from under the driver side dash and check like 5 different fuses that I thought according to the pictures could have something to do with the lights. Found only one blown fuse which after replacing it the dash cluster lights started to work . Sadly no head lights still. Also the sun roofs are dead, and also found a new place that I will need to hit with the shop vac to suck up more rat mess. Also still need to investigate the Three Amigo lights too. Transmission feels good and over all a succesfull drive at least . Brakes sucked as usual too.

The following users liked this post:
Wheelspin (12-26-2020)

Quick Reply: Need some help with a $100 D2 I picked up