Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help regarding loud noise when putting in R or D

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 12:18 PM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some help regarding loud noise when putting in R or D

Sometimes when I start the vehicle and put it in Drive or Reverse it will make a loud clunk. Thought that was the driveshaft so I replaced it (almost 60k on my vehicle so the ds needed replacing anyway). For the first two days after installing the TW I didn't notice the problem. Today leaving my driveway it was loud and it happens especially when my vehicle is on an incline. Is this probably something with my transmission or something? It is loud and sounds pretty rough when it happens. If I'm stopped on an incline and put it in reverse it sounds like something is about to break. Doesn't make noises when I'm moving and the automatic transmission shifts gears.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:36 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when I park on an incline I shift to neutral, apply parking brake then shift to park. when I'm ready to leave I shift to reverse then remove parking brake...no more clunking.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:46 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

also make sure you have fresh oil in the transmisison and transfer case

Old 08-25-2009, 12:55 PM
KBW
Mudding

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
also make sure you have fresh oil in the transmisison and transfer case
I changed both less than 2000 miles ago. Thinking one of those might be on the verge of breaking completely for whatever reason. Seems like it wouldn't be transmission as it doesn't make any noises or have any hesitation when I'm moving but maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteTrain
when I park on an incline I shift to neutral, apply parking brake then shift to park. when I'm ready to leave I shift to reverse then remove parking brake...no more clunking.
This is very important for all Rovers. I do it religiously and on the slightest of inclines.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this happen on a 1997 Disco that I test drove. Turns out something was wrong with the transfer case. The rear wheels weren't engaging at all...

Terrible clunking noise when I shifted from D to R.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:48 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you check the oil in the differentials also? My rear diff had a leak and was low on oil and would clunk.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:30 PM
KBW
Mudding

Guess I'll go in and check all of those fluids again even though they are all fresh. Maybe I have a leak or something is up. If I don't find anything there I'm going to put it up in the air and get someone to shift and listen to find where it is coming from from underneath

Old 08-25-2009, 06:07 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I had this and just thought it was backlash between the gears in the differential and transfer case. I replaced my u-joints in the rear drive shaft today and the clunk is gone. My u-joint at the rear diff was failing and causing the clunk. Since I had the drive shaft out of the truck I went ahead and replaced the one at the transfer case at the same time. Got lazy and didn't mess with the front since it wasn't causing any problems.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:37 AM
KBW
Mudding

AK Rover I replaced the driveshaft with a TW over the weekend so it isn't the driveshaft. I'm just going to put it in the air this coming weekend and have someone put it in R and D and listen from underneath to find where the problem is

Quick Reply: Need some help regarding loud noise when putting in R or D