Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to Test Pulley Alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 12:19 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need to Test Pulley Alignment?

Everything is now running perfectly on my '03 D2, with the exception of a cyclical chirping when warming up. I know it's drive-belt/pulley related because if I spray a bit of Belt Dressing on the ribs of the belt, it goes away immediately. However, its back the next time I start the truck.

That being said, I've done a great deal of upgrades within the last 100 miles. The power steering pump, idler pulley, tensioner pulley and drive belt are all new.

I have used a "mechanic's stethoscope" with the metal probe at the end to try to identify the location of the sound. It's seemingly not coming from anything on the easily accessible "top" of the engine (psp, idler, alternator, A/C or tensioner). It seems to be emitting from down-range of the PSP. Probably need to get under the car during start up to identify exactly where. (I do hate being under any running vehicle.)

So ... wondering if there's a way to easily check the alignment of that new PSP pulley.

Thanks.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:27 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

A straight edge, and or protractor to check alignment, groove to groove.
I would be more inclined to think it was the belt.
Being a new belt doesn't mean anything either.
Some brands make noise, others do not.
I would exchange it for another belt first, preferably a different brand.

Old 03-08-2018, 12:29 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

The 2 idler pulleys also have replaceable sealed bearings, which can also make noise.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:04 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll give the belt a try. I got it from Atlantic British.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JettsRover
Everything is now running perfectly on my '03 D2, with the exception of a cyclical chirping when warming up. I know it's drive-belt/pulley related because if I spray a bit of Belt Dressing on the ribs of the belt, it goes away immediately. However, its back the next time I start the truck.

That being said, I've done a great deal of upgrades within the last 100 miles. The power steering pump, idler pulley, tensioner pulley and drive belt are all new.

I have used a "mechanic's stethoscope" with the metal probe at the end to try to identify the location of the sound. It's seemingly not coming from anything on the easily accessible "top" of the engine (psp, idler, alternator, A/C or tensioner). It seems to be emitting from down-range of the PSP. Probably need to get under the car during start up to identify exactly where. (I do hate being under any running vehicle.)

So ... wondering if there's a way to easily check the alignment of that new PSP pulley.

Thanks.
Pull the serp belt and check your power steering pump shaft for play. Your “new” reman Pump could have a failed bearing allowing the shaft to walk forward ever so slightly that is throws the pulley out of alignment. Happened to me, twice. ****ty remans.

If the shaft has play, RMA it for another.

The following users liked this post:
Barnettz (07-23-2018)