Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Tips and Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 08:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Propshaft - Need Tips and Advice for seperating double joint

Im the in the process of rebuilding my propshaft. The front joint, single joint was cake.
I can't for the life of me seperate the the double joint. Not sure if its just yearsof built up dirt and rust, but ts being stubborn. I can get the caps to the point where they exposed by quarter of an inch but I can't pull them off with pliers.

I soaked them in penetrating oil last night just before giving up. Heading back for round two now.

Does it matter which joint I separate first? The middle or end? I have a u-jointremoval tool but im getting no where. I tried a large socket on one end and a draft pin and hammer on the other, that's not any better.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by coors; 02-27-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:22 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It does not matter which u joint you pull first, but I work from the end one first.
Tap on the drive shaft, not on the opposite cap... if that makes sense. You want to support the one side on a block of wood, put pressure on the u joint and then tap it with a hammer until the cap falls out. Turn everything around and repeat with the other side.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Bundu
It does not matter which u joint you pull first, but I work from the end one first.
Tap on the drive shaft, not on the opposite cap... if that makes sense. You want to support the one side on a block of wood, put pressure on the u joint and then tap it with a hammer until the cap falls out. Turn everything around and repeat with the other side.
Thanks for the reply. I tried that method for two hours. I see alot of rust inside the yokes. Hopefully sitting over night in penetrating oil will make it easier today.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Pro Wrench

Update**
finally, was able to separate the double joint (it was a biotch). re-assembled with two new joints and center ball kit. Drove in the last u-joint bearing cap and could not get it set below the circlip groove. I pounded on that thing for an hour or so, used a press, nothing... it wouldn't budge. I am miserable at this point. A whole weekend wasted on this stupid f-ing propshaft. I'm pissed at the fact I couldn't complete it, my wife's pissed at me - cause I'm, "working on that damn car again", and my dog ate the handle off of my mini sledge hammer.

Im not sure if a bearing needle broke free inside the cap, which is what i would bet happened. Anyway, i tried to remove the u-joint to see if that was the case and the f-ing cap will not break free. I tried from all sides...the caps wont come off the yokes.

I'm buying a new (reman) shaft w/ greases fittings tomorrow and telling anyone who asks - don't try and rebuild it get a reman unit for a couple hundred bucks it's well worth the saved aggravation.

I forgot to mention, This job was doomed from the beginning. Someone had the shaft off before and stripped the hell out of one the bolts on the diff side. I had to use an air saw to cut off the stripped bolt. Yeah, this project is going to be a treat.

And the mother of it all, once I had the shaft out and did a full visual inspection - the shaft was in great condition. I should have just left it alone. Oh Well! looks like I get to drive the Range Rover this week.

Last edited by coors; 02-27-2011 at 08:08 PM.