Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED TRAVEL HELP ! ! 03 Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 05:22 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED TRAVEL HELP ! ! 03 Disco II

Hello guys,
I'm about to embark on a road trip, roughly 1,000 miles or so.
going to change brakes and oil. What else should I be aware of, or check?
My "three amigos" are in full affect as well, but thats another thread...
Also would it be ok to use the BrakeBest(cheap) pads for the job?
This is my first rover, LOVE a challenge! thanks in advance.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Three Wheeling

I don't know what little quirks your disco might have, but two things I would suggest would be to first, at a minimum grease the front drive shaft, and secondly, as a precaution, I would carry some premix coolant, some oil, a set of metric wrenches, flashlight and other assorted tools.

Also, I can't stress enough how much information you can gather by reading over the stickies found at the top of the page. They're there because a lot of people have had those issues, so sooner or later, you might have them as well.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default How long have you had the truck?

Hopefully, you've logged a few hundred miles, just to get a feel for your truck. They can be quirky. There's no info on how many mies are on your Disco, general condition, etc. Three Amigos on constantly is something you need to address. Also, as mentioned, front drive shafts, if original, can be a ticking time bomb (though I suspect some of the catastrophic failures cited again and again on the forums are the stuff of urban legend).

Keep an eye on temps and oil level, and good luck.

DRW

Old 03-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 things I have a hard time cheaping out on:

1.- Brake pads
2.- Tires

Old 03-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Not trying to hijack this thread, but...

Akebono pads - preferred?

Old 03-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Carry a case of bottled water in case you have a leak, otherwise you can drink it. Do not drive overheated. The loss of a front shaft with little or no warning is possible, and some owners got it covered by insurance because they hit something (pothole, road trash). If you have a code scanner that reads live data you can plug that in and drive with it.

Attached Thumbnails NEED TRAVEL HELP ! ! 03 Disco II-p1120320.jpg  
Old 03-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default road trip...?

Road trip haah.......I hope you mean you have a roof tent and you are going into the mountains......Tell me yes... Otherwise..rent a car for $20.00 a day that gets over 30 mpg ..... save yourself $300.00 in gas and enjoy yourself not thinking about your truck breaking down. The plus is you can drive your rent a car like a rent a car... otherwise you better take your black American Express card....

Old 03-10-2012, 09:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Default Good point

Why didn't I think of that...

Old 03-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
Road trip haah.......I hope you mean you have a roof tent and you are going into the mountains......Tell me yes... Otherwise..rent a car for $20.00 a day that gets over 30 mpg ..... save yourself $300.00 in gas and enjoy yourself not thinking about your truck breaking down. The plus is you can drive your rent a car like a rent a car... otherwise you better take your black American Express card....
Ye of little faith!! LOL!!
I drove my 190k+ Rover on a 2500 mile 3 day trip to see a heavy metal band I had never heard of before, only problem I had was replacing a POS AutoZone rebuilt alt in a church parking lot in Norman OK during the Annual Norman Music Festival with a $10 socket set and a Swiss Army knife on the return trip.

Name:  843a27d1.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  119.3 KB

Old 03-10-2012, 11:33 PM
4th Gear

I will make notes of all the advice, and will look into the Akebono pads.

Sorry , thought I typed the info. 2003 Disco II 76,000 miles. Had it for close to a month now, got it at a steal because all these problems terrified the previous owner!
Three amigos shining bright( looking over the abs fix posts now.) Just replaced the front door regulators.(easy-peezy!) And the crank position sensor. My "NEED" to fix list still includes; front doors lock solenoids, front sunroof motor, front fog(hella)lights, dont work. Pointers in any of these directions will be greatly appreciated as well.

Quick Reply: NEED TRAVEL HELP ! ! 03 Disco II