Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.

Neutral safety switch

Old 11-09-2018, 05:19 PM
Received 219 Likes on 202 Posts
Default Neutral safety switch

So I need a new XYZ neutral Safety Switch. What has your guyís experience been? Used? New?

Difficult install or no?

Old 11-09-2018, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 643 Likes on 562 Posts

The earlier XYZ Switch assemblies were a tan color while the later ones were black. I personally prefer the earlier tan units, but thats just me. You can remove it pretty easily as long as it's not a rusty mess. Also there is a slight adjustment to it's positioning, you might want to give that a try before you fork out the $$$ for a new one or get a used one. It's held onto the transmission by 2 10mm bolts, if you loosen them you can move it in either direction. Normally if it's gone truly bananas you'll have limp home mode type faults, along with the M&S flashing, and the indicator on the dash/shifter acting weird.

You can also drill out the rivets holding it together, take it apart, clean it, grease it, and reseal it.

Old 11-09-2018, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Best4x4 View Post
The earlier XYZ Switch assemblies were a tan color while the later ones were black. I personally prefer the earlier tan units, but thats just me. You can remove it pretty easily as long as it's not a rusty mess. Also there is a slight adjustment to it's positioning, you might want to give that a try before you fork out the $$$ for a new one or get a used one. It's held onto the transmission by 2 10mm bolts, if you loosen them you can move it in either direction. Normally if it's gone truly bananas you'll have limp home mode type faults, along with the M&S flashing, and the indicator on the dash/shifter acting weird.

You can also drill out the rivets holding it together, take it apart, clean it, grease it, and reseal it.
Thanks Best! I'll try some positioning, I have taken a look at it previously it doesn't look bad at all. The dash shows the right gear, so positioning seems reasonable, and it will start between R and N, so maybe it is just not reaching far enough to get to P.

Last edited by CollieRover; 11-09-2018 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:56 AM
Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

I've had to replace the XYZ switch in my truck twice. It's not difficult but there are a few pointers I can share. What symptoms make you determine yours needs to be replaced? Is it just that it won't start in Park? If that's the case I agree with Best; try some minor adjustments to its rotation. Trial and error.

New ones are crazy expensive. I remember thinking it was expensive when I bought my first one (new) in 2005. It was ~$250, I recall. I bought my second one used from Marty Powell in 2013 for ~$100 and it's still going strong. As you know, they are now over $600 new. I'd buy used, since you can replace it several times before you spend the price of a new one. I've now pulled a spare from a boneyard truck that I keep onboard along with 10mm and 13mm wrenches.

Old 11-10-2018, 10:41 AM

Thanks mln. I am going to give adjustment a try tomorrow. If it doesnít work I will grab a used unit and rebuild mine for a spare.

the dash knows what gear it is in, not sure what that menís if anything.

Old 11-10-2018, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 643 Likes on 562 Posts

When I installed the CDL linkage into my 02 Kalahari I removed the PRND321 assembly. I re-installed everything and drove it into town. I stopped at several stores with no issues, then I stopped for some fuel. Went to start it & nada. Not gonna lie at first I was like WTH... then I remembered I had removed the PRND321 assembly & messed with the 13mm nut that secures the cable/rod end onto the actual XYZ switch. I shifted from P to 1st & back and it started! Got home climbed under it, loosened the 13mm nut and tightened the slack on the cable/rod from the PRND321 assembly and it never did it again.

In my case the cable had 1-2mm of to much slack and even though the shifter looked like it was in park I was out of adjustment. It also displayed the proper gears but it physically wasn’t fully engaging Park.

So besides the XYZ switch adjustment you can try taking a tiny bit of slack out of the cable itself as well.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:32 PM
Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

I think it's easiest to adjust/replace the XYZ lying with your feet toward the RH (passenger) side of the truck. That way you are working with everything "in front" of you and not over your head. It's also easier if you have a helper sitting in the driver's seat who can test operation of the switch and starter while you're under the truck making small rotational adjustments to the switch with the 10mm bolts loosened.

Another pointer I recall is that if you need to replace the switch it's easier to unplug the connector if you first remove the switch from the selector shaft and remove the connector from the bracket to which it is mounted. That allows you to pull the connector down and get a better grip on it. Also, when replacing the 13mm flange nut that holds the switch on the selector shaft be careful to not overtighten it. I did so and stripped the threads on the selector shaft. I had to use a die to rethread it. Not fun.

Last edited by mln01; 11-14-2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:22 AM

It's really odd. It starts up right away the first time you fire it. Then it gets hesitant. So I am guessing dirty contacts, I don't know. I just sprayed some WD-40 penetrant so I will give that an hour, then head out, remove and rebuild.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:54 AM

I have it almost out. The shaft coming out of the Transmission was rusty, and had to be brushed, the bolt came out, just hard to reach, not the plug is being a bugger. I am soaking the base with WD-$0 Rust Pnetrant, taking a break and hoping I can detach then release the plug.

I can see that the rivets have broken off of the top of the switch, so I am guessing it is just coming apart inside

Old 11-14-2018, 04:29 PM

The front end has a little tab that I donít believe ever let it really seal well, and eventually broke the rivets. I cleaned some corrosion, and there was water in there.

I believe it was just loose and popping in and out of position. Itís an interesting switch.

I used M4 16mm screws with locking nuts.

Went right back into position.

Top tip, chock your wheels

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Neutral safety switch

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.