Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never ending...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:58 PM
KBW
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running summer "car" tires on my discovery atm and we had 5 or 6 inches on the road a few weeks ago and I couldn't spin when I tried while everyone around me was sliding all over the place. Rovers should be good in the snow with almost any tire.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:02 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
I was looking at those, $530, then there is a $50 rebate and a tire shop is doubling the Cooper rebate, so $430 for a set.
Not as aggressive as I would like, but I have been considering them because of the rebate.
How do you like them? Do you off road at all? How do they do in deep snow?
I don't off road nearly as much as i would like but have dabbled a bit. They perform well in snow off road. But on the pavement I have slipped a bit! To my surprise they were amazing in the mountains of northern california. I was there from October to January (a good portion of the rainy season) And I never got stuck no matter how crazy I got with it. In fact I was the first person people called when they got stuck in the mud!! My friend moved it one morning after a night of heavy drinking and he thought he got her stuck so he proceeded to dig a real nice hole with the front tires. But we got it out with a strap, a quad, and low for wheel drive. It was great in tahoe too.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spike, I think you got a bad batch of tires. I have BFG All Terrains on my XJ and I have had not a single bit of trouble out of them, other than the one that completely disintegrated on the freeway. And even then, the rubber rim protector kept my bead from getting jacked up. I mean, I know the tread pattern is exactly the same, but there has to be something to be said for the quality of that particular lot of tires that came off the line. Maybe those came out of the factory the day after new years, and everybody was still drunk.

On a serious note, what kinda van is it? I didn't get stuck, not once this winter. Didn't even come close.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm still loving my Bridgestone Dueler Revos. Nice and aggressive, decent on the highway. They've done a 5 month tour of duty here in Fargo and handled some good snow storms, decent on ice. One of the better reviews out on tirerack.com for the class of tire. From what I recall, it was $600 or so installed, but I think I might have caught a buy 3 get 1 free sale.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Winching

...tire quest.
While on this never ending tire quest I have been stopping into tire shops all over my route and my side of town.
I go in and ask/inquire about a specific brand or type of tire, looking for a aggressive A/T.
"Are they for a Jeep? A Wrangler or old Cherokee?"
"No, they are for a Land Rover"
"oh, well you dont want those, they are very aggressive and will be noisy and ride rough, you want these..."
And they are always a Ultra Luxury SUV tire no where near a off road tire.
"These will be nice and quite and handle well, you dont off road at all do you"

Thats usually when I walk out as all they want to to do is sell me a $200 tire because I drive a Land Rover and I must be made of money.
If I say that I do off road they dont believe me.
"You dont take that thing off road, those things are expensive, I have a old Chevy 4x4 that I use for plowing snow and deer camp, no way I'd take my Land Rover off road if I had one, but there is no way in hell that I can afford that...I always thought that you FedEx guys made lots of money."

Just makes me mad.
Pwahahahaha This makes me laugh because I ALWAYS experience the same thing when I shop for parts. Plus I am 22 years old.... Either they don't believe me when I say I own a Rover (and when they do, they ask me what I do for a linving, people don't believe that old Rovers are cheap)or they say "sorry this part isn't listed in the system for Land Rovers". I often have to shop in 2 or 3 different places to get the part I want.... Can't wait to shop for off-road parts hahahahah. I know AB has a great selection of parts but it's cheaper in local shops because of the shipping and exchange rates.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yesterday on my way home from work I stopped by a Discount Tire and as I was standing in line there was this couple behind me.
They were talking about buying a new/used SUV, she wanted a Denali, he wanted a Jeep Commander.
She HAS to have leather and doesnt care that the Denali costs more, she just HAS to have it.
Mind you the whole time they are talking right into my ear to make sure that I heard what they were shopping for and were going to buy.
A nice big expensive SUV.
I get to the counter and the guy asks me how he can help.
I turn and look right at the couple and say nice and loud..."I am looking for tires for my Land Rover"
They both shut right up and looked out into the parking lot and there is my big white Land Rover, they hung their heads.
It was great.
Denali, whatever.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yesterday on my way home from work I stopped by a Discount Tire and as I was standing in line there was this couple behind me.
They were talking about buying a new/used SUV, she wanted a Denali, he wanted a Jeep Commander.
She HAS to have leather and doesnt care that the Denali costs more, she just HAS to have it.
Mind you the whole time they are talking right into my ear to make sure that I heard what they were shopping for and were going to buy.
A nice big expensive SUV.
I get to the counter and the guy asks me how he can help.
I turn and look right at the couple and say nice and loud..."I am looking for tires for my Land Rover"
They both shut right up and looked out into the parking lot and there is my big white Land Rover, they hung their heads.
It was great.
Denali, whatever.
AHAHA...classic.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle

yeah i get the "you drive a rover you must be loaded" thing all the time, its even worse now that a lot of the guys in my local off road club know i have 2 of them... i tried to explain that i practically stole both of them but they dont wanna hear it... so now i just go along with it... whenever they ask about something or about what certain parts cost i just tell them "dont worry about it, you cant afford it on a jeep budget"...

oh and as for tires, i have buckshot xmt mudders and i like them... there are very few rocks in the marshland of southern louisiana... jso a good cheap mud tire was in order... but i do drive an hour and a half one way to see my son every weekend in new orleans... it handles about as well as you would expect a 6000 pound toaster on 32 inch mud tires to handle...