Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 01 disco owner.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2020, 09:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 353 Likes on 227 Posts

I hope that fixes your issues. I think there are only 2 grease fittings so it sounds like you got those. Kind of cool to hear about the center diff lock, is it accessible from the cab or is it just a lever on the outside?

Old 11-16-2020, 09:09 PM
4wd High
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by greisinb
I hope that fixes your issues. I think there are only 2 grease fittings so it sounds like you got those. Kind of cool to hear about the center diff lock, is it accessible from the cab or is it just a lever on the outside?
only from outside will post a photo tomorrow when I get some daylight.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:32 PM
4wd High

So to engage cld would what way would you turn the shaft on the transfer case? Also should I get a light on the dash when its engaged?

Old 11-17-2020, 07:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Originally Posted by andrwplsn
Finally changed out my 02 sensors. I did all 4 with bosch since I was under there. Sealed my airbox lid to the maf with some rtv and greased my front driveshaft. Do the serviceable front driveshafts only have 2 grease points? Thats all I could find while under there. I also found the at one point in this discos life some one installed a pull/push style lever for the center diff lock that sits along the frame on the passenger side. They also installed a white light under the rear bumper shining straight down wired in with the rear fogs. Odd.
There should be 5 grease points, one on the front u joint, one on the slip joint, two on the u-joints at the cardan joint, and one buried deep in the cardan joint. The last one is not accessible with the driveshaft in the truck, you need to remove the shaft to grease it. Good idea to do it at each oil change. Requires a grease injection style needle to lubricate.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:55 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by Extinct
There should be 5 grease points, one on the front u joint, one on the slip joint, two on the u-joints at the cardan joint, and one buried deep in the cardan joint. The last one is not accessible with the driveshaft in the truck, you need to remove the shaft to grease it. Good idea to do it at each oil change. Requires a grease injection style needle to lubricate.
I only found the one on the front u joint and the one for the slip joint. I'll have to take it off, clean and inspect.

Old 11-18-2020, 07:03 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,460 Likes on 1,036 Posts

You don't have a servicable shaft then. Not all are. Eventually the u joints in the double cardan joint will wear out. It was a pretty common failure for folks to keep driving them after the u-joints were worn to the point the driveshaft flys off going down the road, it almost always destroys the transmission and sometimes the transfer case when that happens. The driveshaft will start chirping at low speed when it is about to go, serviceable shafts are not very expensive, you should probably put it on your to do list.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:42 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by andrwplsn
So to engage cld would what way would you turn the shaft on the transfer case? Also should I get a light on the dash when its engaged?
Anyone have advice in this question?

Originally Posted by Extinct
You don't have a servicable shaft then. Not all are. Eventually the u joints in the double cardan joint will wear out. It was a pretty common failure for folks to keep driving them after the u-joints were worn to the point the driveshaft flys off going down the road, it almost always destroys the transmission and sometimes the transfer case when that happens. The driveshaft will start chirping at low speed when it is about to go, serviceable shafts are not very expensive, you should probably put it on your to do list.
Thanks for the info. will add to the list!