Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 04 disco owner... cant unlock doors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 04 disco owner... cant unlock doors?

I am a new owner of an 04 discoII the problem that Im having is the the key fob will lock but not unlock the doors. I assumed that the key fob was bad since the unlock when pressed would not light the red LED. I bought a used key fob and took it to the LR dealer (stealer) and asked them to reprogram my key fob. after some time they came to the conclusion that I have a problem with my drivers dash fuse box being faulty and not talking to the key fob. Their fix is a new fuse box $520 plus labor. Has anyone experienced this before? Can I buy a used fuse box and replace it myself to see if it talks to the key fob? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The issue with this is...which I found out accidentally while showing my new LR to my wife is... if you are in the vehicle and hit the door locks from the key fob. It puts the locks into superlock mode, which disables the ignition and all door locks and windows along with the unlock button on the dash, basically making you a prisoner inside your vehicle. After multiple attempts to start the rover with no success and not being able to open the windows, I was able to open a sunroof to pass the keys to someone outside and unlock the doors so that we could get out. This could be a bit troubling in the wrong situation. Any help that the group can provide would be appreciated.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

They speak of the IDM module, which is part of the fuse box. Dismantlers on this site, like Paul Grant, can sell you a fuse box. Another source is local junkyard.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:22 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the quick reply Savannah Buzz, I will get in touch with Paul and give it a try. Would you think that its only the IDM module? or the whole unit? BTW I have seen paula name a few times in posts, but do you have a quick link?

Old 02-17-2013, 12:11 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1danger1
BTW I have seen paula name a few times in posts, but do you have a quick link?
paulgrant@mac.com

paulgrant@me.com

Old 02-17-2013, 06:21 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I would trace the wiring. Probably just a loose wire.
Superlock is by pressing lock twice.

That is BMW thing.
Personally I would not use it.

Get out of superlock by pressing unlock twice I think.

If you issue lock / unlock 3 or more times, you may sync the FOB with the truck.
Also make sure the FOB battery is new.

Try simple first.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you review the wiring diagrams in the circuits manual section of the RAVE, you will "discover" that there are two lock motors per door, one for regular, the other for superlock. Locking throws DC volts in one polarity at the motor, unlocking merely reverses that polarity on the same wires to the motor. The schematic will show you points where you can meter that voltage. You could also cut the pink/slate wire that drives the superlock circuit and not have it anymore.

The IDM module and the built in relays are part of the fuse panel. If you replace the panel, may need to leave truck with ignition in position 2 for maybe 5-10 minutes to get BCM to sync with new-to-it IDM. Other than that it is pretty much plug and pray.

Attached Thumbnails New 04 disco owner... cant unlock doors?-d2-fuse-panel.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 cdl wires.pdf (1.48 MB, 61 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 02-17-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Drifting

Thanks for all the help I will dig in and see if I can find a loose wire, The problem that I have with the remote fob is that the dealer says that its the driver fuse box and cannot reprogram the fob without it being replaced. Guess I will try and find a problem with the FB and work from there. Thanks for the wiring PDG Savannah, very helpful. Does anyone know if you can have a fob reprogrammed by anyone other than the dealer, I always feel at their mercy when I walk in the door...

Old 02-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1danger1
Thanks for all the help I will dig in and see if I can find a loose wire, The problem that I have with the remote fob is that the dealer says that its the driver fuse box and cannot reprogram the fob without it being replaced. Guess I will try and find a problem with the FB and work from there. Thanks for the wiring PDG Savannah, very helpful. Does anyone know if you can have a fob reprogrammed by anyone other than the dealer, I always feel at their mercy when I walk in the door...
Any independent with a Rovacom or similar computer can program the fob, I know Lamorna and Crown Hill can do it on this side of the lake and bet Biggs (and a few others) can do it on the eastside (If they tell you they need the bar code, try somewhere else). I'm assuming your location from other threads, it might be helpful to others if you posted your location in your profile so it appeared in your posts.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

One thing that you must know is that the "new" key fob must have the bar code on it.
No bar code no program.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spike555
One thing that you must know is that the "new" key fob must have the bar code on it.
No bar code no program.
I programmed my new one without the bar code (actually it had the bar code with it but it wasn't used with a Rovacom, it just used the number on the transmitter inside the fob) Testbook needs the barcode.

Quick Reply: New 04 disco owner... cant unlock doors?