Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ABS sensor - still getting fault

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 03:41 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,011 Posts
Default New ABS sensor - still getting fault

OK, so stilling working on the new to me 03 Disco with 13xk miles. Had left rear sensor fault - so I replaced the sensor. Still have a left rear sensor fault. Can't really get at the wiring but has anyone else ever had this issue?

Old 04-20-2016, 03:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Extinct
OK, so stilling working on the new to me 03 Disco with 13xk miles. Had left rear sensor fault - so I replaced the sensor. Still have a left rear sensor fault. Can't really get at the wiring but has anyone else ever had this issue?
From my experience, that usually means that the wheel bearing has gone bad. If you have a lift, then the wheel bearing is definitely your issue. Wait for other responses though because I might be wrong.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:59 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Did you clear or have the DTC cleared? if not the code will remain until it is cleared with a diagnostic tool.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:15 AM
Camel Trophy

I cleared the codes (have the Delphi DS150 scanner). Went out and did a drive will scanning. Would't you know, the brand new out of the box ABS sensor is bad. In fact, the original scanner looked good when watching the data (nice smooth speed curve) but was giving the code. Today I am going to swap in the old sensor and swap sides, see if it follows the sensor to rule out wiring or bearing issues.

I don't think it is a bearing issue though, the truck only has 130k on it and it is rear wheel issue, which usually don't give bearing wobble issues. And there is the fact that the data is smooth.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:32 PM
Camel Trophy

Update.

Swapped left and right, fault code came back - still on the left.

Swapped the slabs ecu with my other 03 - no fault for the left rear but there are three unknown faults - 135, 137, 138

Wireing from the plug near the fuse box to the frame rail is does not have the wire loom intact, thinking maybe there is some noise in the signal (although the data does not show it). Going to try the SRD500070 pn ECU, see if the higher level fault tolerance solves the problem, otherwise I am going to have to replace the wire harness.

BTW, faulty ecu works fine in the donor rover.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:35 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update.

Swapped left and right, fault code came back - still on the left.

Swapped the slabs ecu with my other 03 - no fault for the left rear but there are three unknown faults - 135, 137, 138

Wireing from the plug near the fuse box to the frame rail is does not have the wire loom intact, thinking maybe there is some noise in the signal (although the data does not show it). Going to try the SRD500070 pn ECU, see if the higher level fault tolerance solves the problem, otherwise I am going to have to replace the wire harness.

BTW, faulty ecu works fine in the donor rover.
You can just run a new pair of wires from the sensor to the control unit. It's a known bad problem. I would recommend doing both sides while you have access to the control unit and connector.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:28 PM
Camel Trophy

I'm thinking of pulling the entire harness off a donor vehicle. Do you know did LR make a replacement harness for just the rear sensors, or did you have to buy the whole thing?

Old 04-23-2016, 06:25 PM
4wd High

I'm thinking of pulling the entire harness off a donor vehicle. Do you know did LR make a replacement harness for just the rear sensors, or did you have to buy the whole thing?
You may be sadly disappointed to find that a donor harness may have the same problem. Just run a pair of wires from each sensor to the control unit. Takes about 20 minutes to do.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:24 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by synergyautp
You may be sadly disappointed to find that a donor harness may have the same problem. Just run a pair of wires from each sensor to the control unit. Takes about 20 minutes to do.
Sounds like you have done this, where did you route the new wires to, through the firewall and directly to the ECM?

Old 04-24-2016, 08:44 AM
4wd High

Sounds like you have done this, where did you route the new wires to, through the firewall and directly to the ECM?
Done it a couple times. Run along the frame rail together and through the firewall directly to the control unit. It's a piece of cake once you get going with it.

These cars are notorious for connector issues. There are two big connectors that are orange and grey near the expansion tank that are very problematic.

Quick Reply: New ABS sensor - still getting fault