Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Car Woes. Complete with Codes

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 11:33 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car Woes. Complete with Codes

Hello all,

I was really hoping my first post on this forum would be in excitement about my first Land Rover. I am still excited, but the fact that my check engine light came on less than 24 hours after purchase has tempered my positive outlook. So I got a great deal on a 2001 Disco II, 88.5k miles, good shape. Clean Carfax, no flood damage (huge in the mid-Atlantic, following Sandy), and rode great during the test drive. I took it home, about a 45 mile trip, and notice that I'm getting ~8-10 MPG on the highway, but no SES light. I noticed that one of the gears seemed to stick on the highway, as well. This morning I headed out to run some errands, and the SES light turned on. Within 100 feet of my driveway, I'm getting no response from the gas pedal. RPMs are going, but the truck isn't. So I pull over, turn it off, turn it back on again and go to head home, and it starts driving normal. I have an Advanced Auto Parts quite literally around the corner, otherwise I wouldn't have chanced it. So I got my codes read, and here's what I got:

P0174/ P0171
Bank 2 System/Bank 1 System Too Lean

P1171/P1174/P1300
Dealer codes, no definition

P0306/P0305
Cylinder 6/Cylinder 5 Misfire

P0733
Gear 3 Incorrect Ratio

The guy at AAP said the cylinder misfires and bank 2/bank 1 system may be due to the Exhaust Gas Re-circulation Valve (EGR Valve)? Is this possible? Also, I looked up the dealer codes, and they seem to relate to the O2 Sensor and MAF. Could all this be related to one problem (minus gear ratio)?

Old 10-26-2013, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

No egr valve is present on D2 with V8. The gear ratio code is probably also related to the MAF as strange as that sounds.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Overlanding

None of my business - but I was curious what you paid for the vehicle ?

That light can be turned off with the scan meter...they could have turned it off before you test drove the vehicle... Does it appear to be misfiring?

Old 11-04-2013, 04:15 PM
4wd Low

Sorry for the late reply. I took it in to get checked out, the MAF needed replacement. They also recommended replacing two of my plugs and wiring, but I'm holding off on that for the time being. After the MAF was replaced, all the problems were alleviated and the SES light has remained off. I let them replace the MAF, but I plan on doing the bulk of the preventative maintenance myself. Plugs and wires are on my to-do list, as well as coolant and figuring out why my auxiliary lights aren't working. Additionally, I'm planning on taking off the brush guard, sanding it down and re-painting it (it's in good condition overall, with a few rust spots). Either way, it's been riding exceptionally well and I'm looking forward to taking care of some of these things. Looking around this forum has definitely inspired some long-term projects.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Have you read my major service list at the top of this section, might want to follow it to the letter starting with your front drive shaft inspection, rebuild or replacement so it doesn't fail and take your tranny with it.
Who's plugs and wires are you planning on using?
Mighjt want to consider some 8 mm silicone STI or Magnecores and a set of E3 # 48 for the best performance.