Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New day - new tick... WHY!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 06:23 PM
Winching
Received 204 Likes on 102 Posts
Default New day - new tick... WHY!!!

So, after over a month of super smooth, super quiet operation, my engine started ticking again last week. Not the same "slipped liner" type of tick it had before, that would only come on after the engine got up to temp and would go silent above 1,200 RPM. This, new tick, can be heard upon start up (cold), gets a bit louder when the engine is up to temp, and will not go away at any RPM - the frequency increases with RPM. It is coming from the passenger side and seems loudest at the rear of the exhaust manifold (took a stethoscope to it last night).

At first, I thought it was an exhaust leak from the passenger side SAI "Y" pipe, as the noise appeared the very next morning after I had been moving it (the "Y" pipe) to re-install one of the bracket bolts - it also had a bit of a twist/kink in it from a previous difficult removal. I got a new "Y" pipe, installed it last night, the tick was still there. I swapped out the SAI valve with the driver side one hoping the noise would follow - NOPE.

I'm going to try a SeaFoam treatment to the intake in the hope of spotting an exhaust leak - nothing obvious jumps out visually.

So frustrating...

Oil pressure is good at idle and 2K RPM - cold and at temp. New oil pump/front cover. Rotella 15-40
New radiator, 180 t-stat, '02 fan blade, Hayden 2991 fan clutch, no coolant leaks. Consistently runs between 187 and 198 degrees (scan tool) w AC on in summer temps. I'm pretty sure all of this ended the slipped liner tick...
New timing gear, chain, cam, lifters, pushrods, rocker arms, and rocker shafts.

Bunch of other stuff like tires, shocks, brakes, '02 oil cooler/lines, filters, fluids, GB front DS, PS pump... The thing runs better than it has in years - except for the F'N tick!

Any ideas?

Last edited by Tony Luna; 09-04-2015 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Lifter tick maybe. I have a 5.4 ford that it would go away if you just shut it off and restart. I used marvel mystery oil in the crank case with success. Plenty of info regarding Tick, Tick, Ticking on DII Rovers on here.

Last edited by june82000; 09-03-2015 at 07:03 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:44 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

If It went away after RPMs I would say oil issue, but since its constant t sure sounds like a lifter. I poured in the gunk engine clean and it almost immediately went away on a disco I had. Ran that for 10 minutes, changed the oil and never heard it again.

Old 09-03-2015, 11:11 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by abran
If It went away after RPMs I would say oil issue, but since its constant t sure sounds like a lifter. I poured in the gunk engine clean and it almost immediately went away on a disco I had. Ran that for 10 minutes, changed the oil and never heard it again.
Thanks for the input.

New lifters (and the rest of the valve train) less than 3 months ago. I suppose a lifter could fail, but I'd hope it was something else this soon.

May be foolish, but I'm holding out hope for an exhaust leak or something like a bad cat...

Poured a quart of MMO in her this a.m. for good measure. We'll see...

Last edited by Tony Luna; 09-03-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 11:44 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

I'm thinking gunk around the lifter creating the tick. Good luck

Old 09-08-2015, 10:06 PM
Winching

Well... Don't think its an exhaust leak. Replaced the head to manifold and manifold to down tube gaskets and it still ticks. There upon start up and gets louder when up to temp. Think I'll open it up - again - to check the rockers and lifters.

Any other ideas?

Old 09-08-2015, 11:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

[QUOTE=Tony Luna;535041]Well... Don't think its an exhaust leak. Replaced the head to manifold and manifold to down tube gaskets and it still ticks. There upon start up and gets louder when up to temp. Think I'll open it up - again - to check the rockers and lifters.

Any other ideas?[/QUOTE

Just keep the Seafoam as far away from your truck *** possible. If you do a search you will find that it causes more problems that it solves.

Old 09-09-2015, 01:32 PM
Winching

[QUOTE=Frank4;535050]
Originally Posted by Tony Luna
Well... Don't think its an exhaust leak. Replaced the head to manifold and manifold to down tube gaskets and it still ticks. There upon start up and gets louder when up to temp. Think I'll open it up - again - to check the rockers and lifters.

Any other ideas?[/QUOTE

Just keep the Seafoam as far away from your truck *** possible. If you do a search you will find that it causes more problems that it solves.
Seafomed it on Sat and I was convinced I had found the issue as I had liquid Seafom spewing out the manifold to down tube flange - not to mention a smoke screen that covered the house. Drove down to the LR dealership (took the long way to blow out all the SF), got some new gaskets, replaced them, but still ticked...

I'll be cracking her open tonight after work.