Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The New Defender?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Panzer

Oh and judging by what "I've seen" not a SINGLE act with ANY talent on Americas got talent!!!!!!
I wouldnt know as I dont watch that kind of crap.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
I wouldnt know as I dont watch that kind of crap.
Neither do I m8 tbh, but I was "flicking" on the TV the other day and it popped up, and out of 8 acts, NONE of em had any what I would call talent lol.........so crap is probably a good word for it !!

Old 07-17-2009, 07:36 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

China and India have already stated that they will not reduce emissions unless we do it first, if we dont why should they?
Spike, are you sure that's what they've stated? I think it's more like 'we don't care if you guys do it or don't do it, we're not going to'.
It's kind of like somebody telling you to jump off the cliff first and they'll jump right behind you.

I totally agree on the diesels. Everybody I know loves diesels. I think its the tree hugger types that hate them because they see some black smoke, get scared and urinate on themselves.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:40 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

We need tougher emissions laws,
No way, we just need every state to have normal emissions laws. We are so far ahead of most contires on protecting the environment its not even funny. I'm all about personal responsibility, I dont need TONS emissions laws to make me understand what it takes to keep my car from hurting the environment, or creating loads of smog and pollution. If we cover the basics, everything will be fine.

And dont get me wrong about the 2020 CAFE stuff, I want the world to have fuel efficient vehicles, but I always look at the business side of it first. Forecasters predict that that new developments such as less polluting engines will not become widespread because they offer no purchase price benefit for the customer. AKA, no one will want to buy them because they'll be so dang expensive and the customer will run right back to their old 1994 Honda civic that smokes like a fireplace. So if all companies HAVE to meet these new standards, they will be sitting on a lot of expenive "world-saving" vehicles that no one wants because they cant afford them.

We still have 10 years to figure all this out, my olny hope is that we somehow figure out how to make a good engine that doesnt drain the bank account. Obviously i agree with brining deisel vehicles to America, that would be a dream come true, especially if LR does it.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Camdisco24
Obviously i agree with brining deisel vehicles to America, that would be a dream come true, especially if LR does it.
It be great to see diesel Land Rovers. It also be great if there are diesel Discos here in the States

Old 07-17-2009, 07:54 PM
TReK

A diesel disco would change my life.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Team Owner

Well considering that I listen to NPR every single day of the week and being in MI cars are a huge subject, I am no expert on the matter but I try and stay educated.
India and China did say that they would not unless we did.
I am a tree hugger and I love diesels.
The ONLY reason it would cost to much for GM, for example, to become more fuel efficent with new engine designs is because they have had their heads buried in the sand for the last 50 years.
If you dont plan for the future during good times then you will be flat broke during the hard times.
While Honda and Toyota have been working on quailty fuel effienct cars GM keep doing the same thing that they have always done, just build them, dont plan for the future, just build them.
Thats is why they had to file for bankrupcy.
GM was going to start building a engine that they sell in Eurpoe here in Flint MI, 4 cyl turbo twin cam 4 valve 26 city 32 hwy...they dumped the project.
They sell the engine in Europe, why not sell it here? They already know how to make it, just make it here.
The only money would be the tooling for the factory that is sitting empty as I type.
Retool a empty factory, bring back the 1500 laid off workers and start making the damn engine here in the US, slap it into a Malibu and you are rocking.
As for the more expensive fuel efficent car...people are always going to be buying new cars no matter how much they cost.
And if you save $1000 a year in gas then over 5 years, the life of the averge car loan, you saved $5000 off the price of the car.
So that $25000 car cost you $20000.
The average American only keeps their cars for 4 years.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Team Owner

Oh I almost forgot to add...we do NOT do more than the rest of the world.
We do more than 3rd world countries, but we dont do more than Europe, they have emissions testing on all cars, they ride the bus, the drive small cars, they dont own 2 SUV's and a motorhome, they take the train, they walk, ride bikes, car pool and they prefer diesels like we perfer gas engines.
36 mpg diesel Subaru station wagon, 26 mpg gas Subaru station wagon here.
We here in the US dont do enough for the enviroment.
Do you recycle?
Do you drive slower than the speed limit?
Do you combine your trips to keep the driving to a minimum?
Do you drive the Civic to the store for a gallon of milk or the Rover?
Do you lower your thermostat in the winter time?
Do you keep the central air warmer in the summer?
We dont do enough here in the US.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:29 PM
TReK

Spike we will never agree on this subject, you like what helps the environment the most, I like what helps business the most. You like regulation, I hate it. ect ect. The one thing we will always agree on, DIESELS.

And I took your quiz:

Do you recycle? YES
Do you drive slower than the speed limit? I drive the speed limit, not below it
Do you combine your trips to keep the driving to a minimum? We usually dont go on multiple trips, so yes I guess.
Do you drive the Civic to the store for a gallon of milk or the Rover? I only own one vehicle, the rover.
Do you lower your thermostat in the winter time? No, too cold.
Do you keep the central air warmer in the summer? No, too hot.

.... at least I recycle?

Old 07-17-2009, 11:37 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GM went bankrupt because environmentalist have made it almost impossible to explore for oil and the UAW has strangled them with $75/hour workers and legacy cost. When you buy a new car you're not just buying the car you're paying for some union workers dental insurance. Auto plants here in the south are doing fine, no unions. GM was doing fine selling big SUVs when gas prices were low because Americans want big SUvs. I mean just look, we are here because we all like 5,000lbs SUVs that get poor fuel mileage.

spike, I contacted NATH (national association of tree huggers). They revoked your membership after I told them you drive a SUV that gets 13mpg/city.

Quick Reply: The New Defender?