Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new disco ii engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up new disco ii engine

hello every one
i have land rover discovery 2003 with v8 4.6l engine
the engine this days is knocking and i discovered that no one knows why land rover discovery ii has this problem , so i need your valuable advice
- pls advice what should i replace in the engine to make the knocking noise disappear ?
- if there is no any way to make the noise disappear do i have to replace this engine with new one ? is the new one will not had the same problem ?
- if it`s ok pls advise me where i can buy a new land rover discovery 2003 v8 4.6 engine ( name , address ,website , phone number etc )
- the last thing in case if i couldn't find a new engine , what is the similar engine i can install , i mean can i replace it with any range rover engine ?

awaiting your feed back with thanks

Old 01-29-2013, 09:21 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by essam
hello every one
i have land rover discovery 2003 with v8 4.6l engine
the engine this days is knocking and i discovered that no one knows why land rover discovery ii has this problem , so i need your valuable advice
- pls advice what should i replace in the engine to make the knocking noise disappear ?
- if there is no any way to make the noise disappear do i have to replace this engine with new one ? is the new one will not had the same problem ?
- if it`s ok pls advise me where i can buy a new land rover discovery 2003 v8 4.6 engine ( name , address ,website , phone number etc )
- the last thing in case if i couldn't find a new engine , what is the similar engine i can install , i mean can i replace it with any range rover engine ?

awaiting your feed back with thanks
In general these engines are notorious for failure over time. Knocking noices, headgasket leaks, slipped sleeves, missfires, bad compression etc. The noises you hear could be a sure sign of serious mechanical failure, or they could be nothing at all. Best thing to do is start with a accurate compression test, make sure the headgaskets are not leaking. Is your check engine light on? Most of us with a 4.6 probably have some sort of a engine tick or knock. Depends on the $$$$ you are willing to spend on your truck. We need more information before we can help you.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:23 PM
Mudding

If price is no object a top hat lined 4.6 is the answer or if price is a object a un overheated 4.6 with an 180'stat water wetter & ultra gage so you know way before its to hot !

Old 01-29-2013, 09:32 PM
4wd High

first of all many thanks for your infos and your reply
my disco engine`s headgaskets are not leaking and engine light is off

Old 01-29-2013, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Where does the knock come from? You can use a stick to press against the valve cover, and listen to the other end. You can isolate the noise source. You can rebuild these engines, main bearings can be replaced in the truck (write up in our tech area). If noise is from valve train, that can be rebuilt.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Mudding

How many miles ? Get a ultra gage water wetter & 180' t stat will buy you time maybe a heavier motor oil will quiet your noise what is your weather like ?

Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Those engines ticked from the factory.
You are going to have to live with it.
You can try a heavier weight motor oil, like a 20w-50 since you're in the Middle East where I assume it's hot all the time.
Next would be a colder thermostat.
Without tearing into the engine thats all you can do, no there is no other engine you can put in.

4wd High

Originally Posted by TRIARII
In general these engines are notorious for failure over time. Knocking noices, headgasket leaks, slipped sleeves, missfires, bad compression etc. The noises you hear could be a sure sign of serious mechanical failure, or they could be nothing at all. Best thing to do is start with a accurate compression test, make sure the headgaskets are not leaking. Is your check engine light on? Most of us with a 4.6 probably have some sort of a engine tick or knock. Depends on the $$$$ you are willing to spend on your truck. We need more information before we can help you.
what kind of infos you need more ?

Old 01-29-2013, 09:54 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Start with the compression test. Then invest in a colder thermastate like Spike said. Switch to a thicker oil and change oil every 3,000-5,000 miles. Flush radiator once a year and check for any leaks. That is the cheapest way to maintain your engine, even with a tick. If you have alot of $$$$ then you have afew more options:
1.) Replace head-gaskets
or
2.) Complete engine rebuild
or
3.) Replace with professionally tuned/re-manufactured 4.6 engine
or
4.) Replace with brand new 4.6 engine
or
5.) Invest in a turbo diesel engine conversion
or
sell your truck before you end up putting to much $$$$ into it.

If interested in a engine swap then check out these links:
Turner Engineering - Remanufacturer of Land Rover Engines and supplier of Land Rover engine parts
Rover 4.6 Short Block Engine - Discovery II And Range Rover
Discovery Engine - Complete

Old 01-29-2013, 09:58 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by Spike555
Those engines ticked from the factory.
You are going to have to live with it.
You can try a heavier weight motor oil, like a 20w-50 since you're in the Middle East where I assume it's hot all the time.
Next would be a colder thermostat.
Without tearing into the engine thats all you can do, no there is no other engine you can put in.
thanks for your infos
fyg i bought this car last November from hamburg Germany and i was exported from Virginia usa , and its arrived in December 17th to tripoli libya , i discovered the noise from the begging in Germany and i accepted only because i tought that i can fix this problem with replacing a new or used engine ( realy the car in very good condition and the price was very cheap for this car ) and it`s only made 86 miles

the weather in my country ( libya ) is between 10-24 degrees - the hot times is coming as the summer temperature will be between 35-45 degrees and the only reason why i bought this car is to pull my boat to the sea during summer time

Quick Reply: new disco ii engine