Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 1 coolant leakHi

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 12:10 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 1 coolant leakHi

Hi, I'm in the process of parting with my 97 Disco V8i ES (auto transmission). I have a number of interested buyers, but a coolant leak is keeping the buyers from committing. The coolant seems to be coming from the bottom of the bellhousing. There seems to be a small hole there. I checked and replaced all the heater pipes flowing into the firewall, but the problem persist. Any idea where the source of the leak could be? Are there any welsch plugs on the far side of the engine obscured by the firewall that could be the source?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Disco 1 coolant leakHi

I would put money on it that its the "valley" or "intake"gasket leaking at the backleft hand corner (looking at engine), it then flows over and down the bell housing. VERY common on the D1 V8's. The "Original" type of gasket was a crushable type "tin" one, it has now been superseeded by a fibreglass type.

To look and see "if" its this, You have to climb onto the front / topof the car with engine running, and look down the back with a torch and mirror, if the coolant is still a pretty pink colour, you will def see where its coming from. Be careful of the viscous fan whilst on the engine !!!

This was the first Job I had to do on My D1 V8. total parts about £50 or $100 from the Dealer, and about 4-6 hours work.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:00 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Disco 1 coolant leakHi

Thanks for the prompt feedback. I guess it is a weekend job - but then I expected much worse..... I'll report back after the weekend.