Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Disco owner; drivetrain noise normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 11:20 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New Disco owner; drivetrain noise normal?

Hey all, just picked my 02 Disco up from a private seller a week ago. Couldn't pass it up; in pretty nice shape with new headgaskets with 89k miles. Been on the forum ever since soaking up info. I found solutions to the few little nit noid problems there are. One thing I'm wondering is about drive line noise. I know its 4x4 all the time. I was wondering if a noise under load will always be present. Its sort of a tire hum/gear noise only under load. If I'm on the freeway and I let off the gas it goes away. Front prop shaft has not been rebuilt, but I can't seem to detect any play in it and the u-joints appear in good shape.

Last edited by BrandonS; 05-23-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:42 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say get that drive shaft rebuilt asap. And if ya still here that noise I'd look at the T Case. Front prop shaft is a must. Don't want it to blow up and knock holes in your tranny. Thats my opinion but I'm sure so more well versed members will chime in soon enough. Cheeers!

Old 05-24-2012, 04:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

x2 on the shaft, there is little or no warning of the shaft snapping, and it can poke a big hole in case of tranny. It won't be rebuild tranny, it will be replace it. Good write up in tech section on rebuilding shaft. x2 on transfer case noise, drain and replace fluid, many go back with 85W150 thicker fluid to quiet it some. I also put some of this LUBEGARD Gear Fluid Supplement in mine and it also helped. Cheap at NAPA, etc.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:31 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

a drivetrain noise as you get on and off the gas (a cluck) is normal, anything else is not.
Are you sure it is not a tire hum, Disco are heavy and require stiff tires with hard side wall which help to promote noise.
Are you going from another truck or a passeger car to the disco?

Old 05-24-2012, 06:37 AM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. The front shaft is on my list of things to do here soon, along with tires and maybe a small 2" lift.

As for the noise, I'll try changing the transfer case fluid, I may as well change the front/rear diffs and tranny while I'm at it. I do get a noise when going off load and back into it on the freeway, but nothing that I would consider abnormal. I was mostly wondering about the noise while just driving. I'm pretty sure its in the driveline as it goes away when I let off the gas so that should rule tires out. It just sounds liek gears spinning together really fast. At first I thought it was the crappy/low tread tires on it now humming away until I let off the gas on the freeway and it ceased. It doesn't by any means sound horrible, just wasn't sure if it was normal. Maybe it'll give me an excuse to get a CDL txfr case.

As far as the vehicle I'm coming out of, I was DD'ing my 65 Plymouth Fury for the past few months since it's been nice out and we also have a 11 4Runner 4wd that the wife drives around. 4 Runner doesn't make the noise in 4wd and the Plymouth is just loud with it's exhaust and everything rattling around.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:17 AM
Baja

have you had a chance to change the fluid in the diff's yet, cheap, easy and it they probably have to be done any way.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:25 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Brandon go to the top of this section and do everything listed in my major service list, including rebuilding/replacing the front drive shaft, to the letter so this non inspected vehicle does not turn around and bite you in the ***.
As for that noise, stop driving it this morning till you do the front shaft or you may find yourself also buying a replacement tranny.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonS
As far as the vehicle I'm coming out of, I was DD'ing my 65 Plymouth Fury for the past few months since it's been nice out and we also have a 11 4Runner 4wd that the wife drives around. 4 Runner doesn't make the noise in 4wd and the Plymouth is just loud with it's exhaust and everything rattling around.
Most of the 4Runners have chain driven transfer cases, but I'm not sure about something that new. If it does, it will be MUCH less noisy than the gear driven case in the Land Rover. They all make a little bit of noise, there was even a revision called the LT230Q that was supposed to be quieter, but it's still not silent.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:32 AM
Baja

"Front prop shaft has not been rebuilt" my mistake i thought it had been rebuilt.
i would have agree with everone else, stop driving and rebuild/replace the drive shaft.