Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Disco Owner

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Disco Owner

Hi all

Just bought a 2004 Discovery II SE with 126K on the clock. 3 prior owners good Carfax report and the maintenance records look pretty good. Gray with black leather, few scratches and dings, headliner is sagging. 7/10 cosmetically

Paid 3000 cash for it.

A few days after purchase the check oil light started to stay on after engine start. It would go out after a few seconds and never come on until it sat over night. Each day the light would stay on longer and longer. It would always go out before I set about driving it (longest was about 4 min or so) and it never came on after it went out. Truck ran good and cool but the oil light staying on was a concern.

So I took it in to the Rover Indy shop and the oil pump let go while it was on the lift. So I'm having the oil pump assembly replaced and the Major service done. I'm also having everything re resealed and the engine mounts replaced.

Hopefully this will be it for a bit as I plan on having the head gaskets done but I'm going to wait until I need them.

Its a second vehicle, but it so much better than my Trailblazer, that I want to make it my daily driver.

I have read all the horror stories about these rovers but I'm still convinced with proper maintenance and a Rover Indy shop and my own hands as back up I should get some enjoyment from it.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:35 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

kewl. good that you have an indy (and the cash for it!), my budget allows for my own hands for maintenance and the indy shop for a backup. our other car has pretty much just sat since we bought this, I love driving it- even with its issues. read-up on the "sticky" section, get that prop shaft replaced or rebuilt, get an Ultragauge, have some fun driving the beast! welcome...

Old 02-10-2014, 01:07 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by jamestfl
kewl. good that you have an indy (and the cash for it!), my budget allows for my own hands for maintenance and the indy shop for a backup. our other car has pretty much just sat since we bought this, I love driving it- even with its issues. read-up on the "sticky" section, get that prop shaft replaced or rebuilt, get an Ultragauge, have some fun driving the beast! welcome...
Hi James

Rover mechanic said the Rover has a new transmission, new front prop shaft and drive shaft. His guess is that one of the previous owners had a prop shaft/Drive Shaft failure and it took out the transmission.

I am looking at doing everything on the Major service list in due time. Right now I want to get to where the Rover has good oil pressure and runs decent. I know as soon as that oil light pops on and you continue to drive it it will blow your engine.

The guys at British 4x4 said overall the D2 looks good. There is a slight tick when the engine is at operating temperature and at idle. Its loudest near the drivers side wheel well. It goes away above 2000 RPM. I will have to look into that more.

Engine runs strong no misfires, smooth at idle and does not over heat. Coolant level has stayed the same as has the oil level. It does need a new muffler and cats. I ordered a Magaflow system from 4wheeler parts and will have that installed next week.

Just ordered the Ultragauge thanks for that info. =)

Old 02-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome to the forum and the land rover world. I saw that you are having work done at british4x4. Are you in San Antonio?
I wish you would have asked for help earlier, maybe I could have helped you change your oil pump gears. They are only $100 and a days time. Don't get me wrong, Sam and the guys at british4x4 are great but it will cost you. If you need any help with other projects in the future let me know and maybe we can save you some $$$$.
I am always looking for a good place to off road and a partner to go with.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Jared9220
Welcome to the forum and the land rover world. I saw that you are having work done at british4x4. Are you in San Antonio?
I wish you would have asked for help earlier, maybe I could have helped you change your oil pump gears. They are only $100 and a days time. Don't get me wrong, Sam and the guys at british4x4 are great but it will cost you. If you need any help with other projects in the future let me know and maybe we can save you some $$$$.
I am always looking for a good place to off road and a partner to go with.
Hi Jared

I saw your write up on your engine rebuild. Almost makes me think I could do it myself.....Almost

No this is the British 4x4 in Jacksonville Florida.

The more I learn and research the more and more it looks like these BOSCH engines are not terribly hard to work on. I have a Trailblazer with a inline 6 and I swear if you have hands bigger than a little kids you can not work on that engine.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:28 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=ems12;445992]

Rover mechanic said the Rover has a new transmission, new front prop shaft and drive shaft. His guess is that one of the previous owners had a prop shaft/Drive Shaft failure and it took out the transmission.

Make sure the replacement shaft has the grease fittings on it. If it was replaced at a dealer chances are they put on the non-grease shaft.

Read below...
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...rebuild-29302/