Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to disco world

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to disco world

I just purchased a 95 disco, and was wondering how many miles is the engine good for on average. Also Is there anything i should look for as far as common problems? Thanks for the help.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: New to disco world

If you take good care of it, 300,000 or more. How many on it now, and how well has it been maintained?

Old 10-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Drifting

It has 160,000 It has had a lot of the fuel system work done to it. It seems like they have done a lot of repairs on it. i am guessing that could be a good or bad thing good being more new parts on it bad being that it is a money pit. I just want to know where the most problems will occur. I have heard bad things about the electrical. I just want to know what to expect.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Recovery Vehicle

A lot of people hear bad things but I feel like most of the bad things are from people who don't know how to really take care of a Rover. They need to be maintained well, and if they are they will last forever. You have a Disco I so electrical shouldn't be too bad. Typical problem spots are the sunroofs, and window and door lock actuators. All pretty easy fixes. Oh, make sure you use the CDL shifter at least once every couple months to make sure it doesn't seize up.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Drifting

Funny you should metion the sun roof. The rear one works fine, But the front one starts to open, but stops after about 3 inches. It sounds like to motor wants to keep going. Is there a common problem that this could be, And anything i should check for? Thanks for the help.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Drifting

Also When I drive it it seems like there is a little bit of a shake at 15-25 mph. I am hoping that it is just a poorly balanced tire. Have you heard of anything as far as the suspension?

Old 10-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well the electrical issues that you have heard of are false. At least on DI's, DII's have more electrical controlled things so they have few more problems inj that reguard.
DI's are pretty straight forward, not complicated at all.
Change ALL the fluids in the truck, run the required premium gas, change the fuel filter once a year and use the hi-lo shifter once a month to keep it from seizing up.

As for the front sunroof, lube the track. Open it as far as you can and then spray some chain lube, like for a bike chain and then open and close it a few times. If that doesnt help then just close it and forget it because you need a whole new sunroof, over a thousand dollars to replace it.
It is common for the ABS to go bad, pull the fuse when it does and forget about it.
The cruise control will stop working, that is a easy one, vacum leak 99% of the time, replace the vacum line and it works again.
Book mark these two web sites.
www.atlanticbritish.com
www.roverlandparts.com
AB has a TON of tech tips on their home page, I suggest that you look them over.
Rovers are either you love them or you dont kind of a car, you will know if it is meant to be before to long.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:10 PM
Drifting

Thanks a lot. So far i have fallen in love with it. I traded my wrangler for it. well if you think of anything else let me know. again thank you.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Any questions that you may have dont be afraid to ask.
And always remember, there is no such things as a stupid question, only stupid answers. You wont know if you dont ask.