Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New engine, High coolant temps on scangauge

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 04:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

You are fine. Anything under 210 is absolutely fine, especially on that Turner engine. My lowest temps have been with the black Britpart. Leave it alone and keep the OEM genuine gray as a spare.

The following users liked this post:
Jason_B (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 04:16 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason_B
Sounds good. Do you think that 204 is just a bit high at idle? I have seen others posts about low 190s at idle. Do you think I should replace my fan and clutch assembly? Thanks!
I run about 194/197 at idle for short periods, but I will get up to 201 if I sit long enough, then the clutch in the fan starts to engage and I get cool fast. 204 is not bad, worry if you get to the 210/215 range at that point you could have a bigger issue. I replaced my fan and clutch because the fan had a bad blade, and clutch was iffy no real change in things
I run about 188 when I am moving and have been down to 186.

The following users liked this post:
Jason_B (09-26-2018)
Old 09-27-2018, 11:46 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A thermostat is critical, not only to open and close at the proper time but also it restricts water flow and allows the radiator time to cool the fluid prior to re-entry into the motor. Removing the thermostat from the system will allow the cooling fluid to move freely through the motor which sounds like a good idea until you think about the thermodynamics of the radiator and fan, and how it supports the system.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:01 PM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Guinness
A thermostat is critical, not only to open and close at the proper time but also it restricts water flow and allows the radiator time to cool the fluid prior to re-entry into the motor. Removing the thermostat from the system will allow the cooling fluid to move freely through the motor which sounds like a good idea until you think about the thermodynamics of the radiator and fan, and how it supports the system.
I agree. Was someone suggesting running without a thermostat?

Old 09-27-2018, 09:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

No.

But I'll go ahead and make a similar suggestion. CollieRover mentioned that he has a Turner engine and considerd the inline thermostat mod. I've done it. I use a cheapo Chevy thermostat in a housing. My truck runs cooler and the whole setup is only slightly more expensive than a land rover thermostat (and you lose no coolant swapping it). The whole process is documented somewhere here in the forums.

To the point, among the many advantages of the inline thermostat mod is that the thermostat is in a housing and can be removed, then the housing closed... for diagnosis purposes, this is an easy way to eliminate or confirm a bad thermostat as the cause of high temps because your coolant runs wide open. Further tangential to the point, it makes getting air out of the system trivially easy (valve in the middle, just raise hose) and eliminates brittle plastic parts (my "T" cracked open on a lonely road). I don't know why everyone does not do it .

Man I loved my old engine .I can't help it .I found a picture close in time to the one above. Sorry, this is purely selfish...

RIP "fire" engine!
​​​​​​

Last edited by Charlie_V; 09-27-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

I'd be running the inline thermostat "if" I couldn't get it to run cool on the OEM setup. Sure the T is brittle, but you can replace that, the Britpart 180F thermostat works, and I have no reason to use the inline setup at this time.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:25 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
I'd be running the inline thermostat "if" I couldn't get it to run cool on the OEM setup. Sure the T is brittle, but you can replace that, the Britpart 180F thermostat works, and I have no reason to use the inline setup at this time.
Hahaha! Well put, Best! As I have for years, I bow to your mechanical skill and appreciate your advice. But I switched to try something different and because my T left me stranded and endangered my head gaskets, and the replacement T (galvanized plumbing fitting) looked jank. The original T crumbled in my hands. Surely its state was due to age, but looking at it naked and destroyed it seemed a fragile thing in an otherwise durable vehicle.

Anything that strands me is replaced, even if it is a whole vehicle if I can't find a quick fix.

After the change, I do think the inline setup is superior even on a well running rover. No plastic, an actual valve for air, cheap thermostat from any store, and no lost coolant. Technically, the 180 thermostat is a mod, too. The standard 190 thermostat, like SAI, were awful attempts to get the engine past EPA standards, I believe. Get rid of one, get rid of them all... with exception of the cats. It sounds horrible without cats.

Also an oversized Wix oil filter makes the engine happy as bearings age, and a cone filter is great. I'm definitely not a purist but I've limped Old Blue through almost two decades since I drove it out of the dealership in '99 (thanks to you and other members, I should add), so I take liberties.

Best,

Charlie V

Last edited by Charlie_V; 09-27-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,297 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Speaking of the T, I never received my custom 45.00 aluminum unit from that Jag shop that was making custom T’s, 90’s, and adapters (can’t even find their site anymore..).

Yep I totally agree with replacing brittle plastic from the T, plastic cooler lines, and a few other things with metal or even Pyrex glass like my inline coolant window which has been a handy little mod for making sure my coolant is flowing properly without any bubbles or debris.

I plan on experimenting with an inline setup on my 04 when I finally do swap out it’s engine. I’m going to mount it on the upper fan shroud right inbetween the center hold downs for the hose. Then I’ll just use a copper 90 where the T used to be, and replace the lower hose and see how that works.