Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Engine Ordered from Atlantic British

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 02:14 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Engine Ordered from Atlantic British

Well, I couldn't wait...

I ordered a brand new short block, and it will arrive at my mechanic's on March 14th or 15th.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9257D.cfm

Guys- I really want to do this right. What should I do when I get my new engine installed? Is there a special break-in period that I need to be concerned with? How regularly should I flush the Mobile 1 extended protection in the beginning?

Are there any other tips, or tricks that you can tell me that will make this engine last for as long as possible?

Thanks guys,

Pat

Old 02-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Rock Crawling

make sure the mechanic knows how to set up the rocker arm clearances.I would guess that since your getting a short block it comes with a new cam and should also include the new lifters
I would also suggest that you get a new set of rocker arms/shaft assemblies IIRC they are about 110.00 each.
Make sure the heads are also flat so you dont have any headgasket problems.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:36 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You really do love that truck!

I guess I shouldn't mention that you couldve purchased 2 DI's for the price of that short block........

Old 02-26-2010, 05:51 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The first thing you will need to do is read the fine print on ALL the paper work, from AB as well as your mechanic.
Most engine rebuilders say to change the oil within the first 500 miles or the warranty is null and void.

So here is what I would do, change it after 500 miles, then again after 1500, then every 5000 miles after that.
I do not care what oil you are using, do not go beyond 5000 miles between oil changes.

The break in period is pretty short, no extended idling or constant speeds (like cruising on the expressway) or jack rabbit starts for the first 1000 miles.
Check the oil every 100 miles or so for the first 500 miles and then every 200 or so until you reach your normal oil change intervals.
It is very common for a brand new or rebuilt engine to use oil.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think the block comes with lifters, so lifters and pushrods are in order. Replacing the rocker chaft assemblies is a good idea, as stated above... You will probably need a new head gasket set with bolts as well. Depends on what comes with it..

Old 02-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Winching

Thanks for the advice, guys. I ordered a kit with the engine, which includes all the gaskets, and lifters, and I think pushrods come with it... I'll find out at let you know.

It won't even ship from AB until March 10th, and I won't actually "pay" for it until then.

I do love the Disco. When I bought it, I felt confident that it was the second nicest 04 Disco for sale in the country at the time. It was one owner from Rhode Island, and it was maintained well. The body and everything was mint condition, and in fact still is, except for an almost unnoticeable ding in the passenger, back door.

The only nicer Rover was twin with 27k miles in Texas, but it was bought for some high school student as a gift, and he was "upgrading to a hummer". Rich guy, lol. That one was pristine, but it was also $23,000.

I've never owned a new vehicle, and now I pretty much will have a new one.

I had it paid down to $6,500, and since it blue-books for $15, I just had the engine tacked onto the loan.

This Disco will last me 5-10 more years. Heck, maybe when I own a ranch some day, it'll be a farm vehicle.

I like Audi TTs, and I like Range Rovers. I also like Series II and III Rovers. Let's see... I also like the new style Ford Thunderbirds with the round window hard tops.

But I LOVE my Disco.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Rock Crawling

the reason for the new rocker assemblies is so the valve train isnt compromised by a lack of oiling or a low oil pressure due to excessive clearances.

Old 02-27-2010, 10:54 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

rocker assemblies don't cause issues.

I have used several shortblocks from AB. you need to get a new timing cover and oil pan gaskets along with the set of lifters and head bolts that come in a special set sold by LR.

Along with the head gasket set.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Rock Crawling

[quote=Rovin4life;164808]rocker assemblies don't cause issues.

I respectfully disagree with you,
I have read about numerous instances where replacing the rocker shafts and rockers as an assembly is the best way to restore new tolerance to the upper oil pathways.
This also includes removing tapping rocker noises due to worn shaft interfaces.

Said another way would you want to put a part on your new shortblock assembly that already been in service for 100K miles,
There is no way a used rocker assembly will have the close tolerances of a new part.

Last edited by Mrmerlin; 02-28-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I probably wouldn't use the Mobil 1 Ext Protection until the 1,500 mile change. I would run a 30W oil (plain dino oil is fine) with a break in additive. (like this http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=121&pcid=1) Lucas also makes one, and Royal Purple has a break in oil if you can find it.

Quick Reply: New Engine Ordered from Atlantic British