Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New gaskets... Instant antifreeze leak - wanna cry ;)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 05:25 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New gaskets... Instant antifreeze leak - wanna cry ;)

All new gaskets, heads redone, etc... I am to the point where I am filling up the antifreeze reservoir with peak coolant. About 1.5 gallons into it, truck off, and I notice it leaking on the passenger side rear of the motor. I can't tell where it's coming from even when I use a light and a little mirror. I can't see from underneath either. Only thing I can suspect is the intake to head valley pan gasket???

What's confusing to me is I opened the bleed screw to allow the air to come out while I filled the reservoir and confused as to how it made it back to the rear of the block already? And how did I screw up the valley pan gasket, if that's what's even leaking.

So frustrated .... $1300 in parts and 2 weeks of waiting to almost hear it run again.... Only to have it leak before it even tries to run

Old 10-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you torque the bolts to the right amount? Your saying passenger side so cylinder #8 and those bolts are the harder ones to get to #7 so that could be the problem or the possibility that when you put the valley gasket on you did not get the rubber gasket pushed back in correctly and that is where its pouring out from. Its your work so only you know what went wrong. My guess would be where the head meets the block there is a divet and that is what that rubber gasket with the little wings is for if you dont make sure that is in properly it will leak from there. Do you remember that step?

Last edited by lr2001silver; 10-07-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 PM
Drifting

I feel your pain. Did the head gaskets, put everything together, found a pretty good oil leak out of the top rear of engine. Went back in and re-did the valley gasket again, so far so good.

Coolant leaking at that volume would lead me to the following(no particular order):
1) Heather return pipe leaking running to back of engine
2) Coolant pipe leaking (check front top valley gasket) again running to back
3) leak around water sensor on top of manifold
4) no final torque on intake to heads

Old 10-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Drifting

Got it figured out. The Front of the lower intake on the passenger side has a pipe that comes from the heater core....I replaced the oring on that pipe but I guess when I fit the pipe in there I sheared the oring in half .... Simple fix . Thanks for the ideas

The following users liked this post:
CollieRover (08-24-2019)
Old 10-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad that was a simple fix for you, hard to do all that work and then have the possibility of having to go back in after waiting so long.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good work!!!!!!!! Don't ever give up.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:18 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hi all great info from you I’m stripping heads from my spare disco

I’m stripping heads from my spare disco getting them re done planed etc while my gasket set comes in I’m thinking new valves seats ground while they have it any thing I can do to at this time so I can use lower octane gas and do I change rocker arms assembly any other mods I can make at this time I watched a vid on Atlantic British site re new short block expensive for what you get but again should I go this rout apparently they improved liners in there blocks any body done this and can a local machine shop do this if I bought all the liners and parts appreciate the help as all ways.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:59 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

You won't get to use lower octane gas by doing anything to the heads or engine. The octane requirement is a function of the ECU programming which cannot be changed. You can use lower octane gas as is, however the computer will sense the detonation and retard the timing to accommodate the lower octane. So by using lower octane you will get less performance and less mpg. But you can use it. You can use cheap gas too but you will pay for that in fuel injector maintenance. Speaking from experience I figure it's just cheaper to use top tier premium. If you can't afford the fuel you probably are not the ideal owner of one of these. There are a literal ton of things on these that will cost more than spending .20 or .30 cents a gallon more on fuel... Even if you live in Canada.