Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Guy, How'd I do and what now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 02:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy, How'd I do and what now?

So i bit the bullet today. Bought a 2001 DII SE7 with 187000. Has every option I can imagine, interior is in good shape, but it does need tires. Price- $2500. I drove it 40 miles home with no lights or issue.

Maybe some slight driveline vibration. I don't think I will really know until I get a set of tires on it because the set on it are BALD. Could this be the front driveshaft? I haven't crawled under it to take a look yet. It just had a complete tune-up, but I do plan on servicing the entire driveline.

SO where do I go from here guys? I'm looking forward to the adventure that this ownership will surely be. I am also pretty handy with a wrench so I;m sure I'll be in here picking brains on the nights I will no doubt be under it wrenching.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ok...bro..

Ok, Welcome to the short bus... Go to your local liquor store and stock up as it's going to be a bumpy ride... Oh, and open a secret bank account your wife does not know about to save up for the rough waters....It's like having children .. when there young they just smile and poop all the time...then one day the word collage enters your life and then you realize your broke....

Chris

Old 04-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

If the drive shaft has been rebuilt the u-joints will have zircs(niples, grease fittings, etc.) on them. But just because it was rebuilt does not necessarily mean your safe. If the previous owner never greased them then they are no better than the original from factory. (I know that from experience!)

To be on the safe side I would go ahead and plan on dropping about $400 on a Tom Woods front drive shaft. Another $800+ on new tires. If the shocks and springs haven't been replaced yet, then you will be do for that as well. That's another $600+.

So for now your investment is at $4300. Before the first year is out, I would plan on another $800 for other things that creap up on you or mods. Oil pressure gauge, scangauge or ultragauge, 8mm plug wires, spark plugs. And get used to paying $4+ a gallon on gas. Only run the premium. I have had a lot of great luck lately running Shell Premium.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok so I climbed under it and the shaft has been rebuilt.

Another issue, my temp gauge seems stuck or something. When I crank it it jumps to the mid point and stays there, never cools off after sitting at least according to the gauge. It never rose on the 40 mile ride home, just sat right in the middle.

EDIT: False Alarm. I guess in all my excitement and playing with it I never let it cool down all the way. Looks to be functioning normally.

I also have a transmission fluid leak. Looks minor, so I'll add a fluid and filter change to the list. Got a quote on tires for $640 mounted and balanced at my local tire shop.

Last edited by cer308; 04-28-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by vandev
Ok, Welcome to the short bus... Go to your local liquor store and stock up as it's going to be a bumpy ride... Oh, and open a secret bank account your wife does not know about to save up for the rough waters....It's like having children .. when there young they just smile and poop all the time...then one day the word collage enters your life and then you realize your broke....

Chris
Truer words have never been spoken. That is some funny sh**

Old 04-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Holy crap..

Originally Posted by priceg
Truer words have never been spoken. That is some funny sh**
Holy crap.... I just read your signature.... how many discos???

Your bus is a 1 seater for sure...

I'll be seeing you at the AA meetings....

Old 04-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

re: It never rose on the 40 mile ride home, just sat right in the middle.

It is made to do this. Get an Ultra Gauge so you will know what is going on.

Attached Thumbnails New Guy, How'd I do and what now?-ultra-gauge.jpg  
Old 04-28-2012, 05:27 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by vandev
Holy crap.... I just read your signature.... how many discos???

Your bus is a 1 seater for sure...

I'll be seeing you at the AA meetings....
Its like crack. Where the civilians see an out dated gas hog, I see opportunity. I need to redo my sig. I have sold some and bought some more. Just picked up a 2003D2 with a bad motor and a 1969 Series 2a to play with.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

you might take a look at craigslist for a set of wheels and tires. New rubber prices have gone through the roof lately. Here in San Diego, good tire sets on LR wheels are often sold for $200. With the miles and the other items on your "to do" list, it might provide a brief savings. Good luck with the new ride. I know that their are many that recommend the ultra scan gauge so that you can monitor current conditions on your truck. I used a 3130 Innova Scanner, not as convenient as the Ultra Scan, but it does provide actual engine coolant temps. I was always so nervous watching the temp climb every time I can to a stop light, I finally took it out and enjoyed life a ton more. Now that the three of the Land Rovers are sold, I glance at the temp gauges in the porsche, the land cruiser, the 4runner or the Chevy Silverado and just smile. I do find myself looking for good deals on Discoverys, however, it is a sickness, Chris, scoot over and make some room on the short bus. Phil

Old 04-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Default Ha ha..

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
you might take a look at craigslist for a set of wheels and tires. New rubber prices have gone through the roof lately. Here in San Diego, good tire sets on LR wheels are often sold for $200. With the miles and the other items on your "to do" list, it might provide a brief savings. Good luck with the new ride. I know that their are many that recommend the ultra scan gauge so that you can monitor current conditions on your truck. I used a 3130 Innova Scanner, not as convenient as the Ultra Scan, but it does provide actual engine coolant temps. I was always so nervous watching the temp climb every time I can to a stop light, I finally took it out and enjoyed life a ton more. Now that the three of the Land Rovers are sold, I glance at the temp gauges in the porsche, the land cruiser, the 4runner or the Chevy Silverado and just smile. I do find myself looking for good deals on Discoverys, however, it is a sickness, Chris, scoot over and make some room on the short bus. Phil

Phil! I thought you where driving the bus! I hope your surfing you dog.... I figured you who understand the college thing

Later bro, Chris

Quick Reply: New Guy, How'd I do and what now?