Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy looking at buying a Disco

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:39 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy looking at buying a Disco

Hello all! I have a long post, and need some advice.

You have a great forum here (been lurking). Im contemplating buying a disco and have been researching the possibility. I had originally planned to buy a 99-2001 jeep cherokee, but happened to look at a 2002 Disco while waiting for keys to a cherokee....and fell in love...I think....

Ive just sold a wrangler, and wanted something a little bigger with 4 doors, but offroad capable. 90% daily driver and the rest offroad once a month. We are expecting our second child...this the reason for a bit bigger vehicle compared to the wrangler.

I realize the gas mileage of a disco, and Ive read that most of the issues that I may run into with a Disco, I can handle in my garage (took the head off my TJ, replaced the suspesion, exhaust manifold, intake, etc). Im not too scared of a disco.....not too much....but I dont want to buy something that is getting ready to fall apart.

Im also not scared of buying 100K mile vehicles (in the past), but Ive read that doing so in a disco, may be asking for too many problems....so....Im looking for a 50-76K mile vehicle.

Im also keeping my eye out for any disco that may have already had the "major" issues dealt with....is that a good idea? Once its "fixed", shouldnt I be OK?

Ive found a disco that I like...its already modded for offroad use, but hasnt seen too much offroad...lots of money spent though. Its being sold by a LR indy garage...that did all the maintenance and repairs, so i feel good about it.

It has a used transmission (says the u-joint failed)...that is my only concern.....but not at the same time. here is the description:

Make offer.2000 D2 with 93K miles.Excellent condition with many updates. Everything works perfectly.7 seater with rear AC.Dual sunroofs with factory 6-Disc CD changer.Less than 4K miles ago the front driveshaft went at speed cracking the transmission.A used transmission with 28K miles was installed along with a Tom Woods custom heavy-duty driveshaft.Also at this time the following was done:New alternator,new y-pipe/cats, exhaust manifold gaskets both sides, both front hub assemblies with abs sensors-new,new OME HD shock and spring kit,new left front cv joint/axle assy,new thermostat,new Masterpull 3/8' X 85' winch line with rock guard and M-P aluminum fairlead and 5 new BFG All-terrain 265/75 tires.Total for above work $11,371. Vehicle also comes equipped with ARB winch bumper with Warn XD 9000 winch. ARB air lockers front and rear.Hannibal roofrack and roof top tent along with dual jerry can holder.Safari Gard rear bumper with 2' receiver option and skid plate option.Trek Outfitters rock sliders with hi-lift points.ARB bumper has two IPF 900 lights with covers. Roof rack has 4 IPF 630 sport lights. Also 3 IPF back-up lights-1 at rear and one on either side.Switches are all stock and in factory locations for a clean looking dash.Genuine roof rack ladder.Safety Devices snorkel.Steering guard.Steel wheels with factory center caps.Recent work completed are front and rear brake rotors and pads, ABS wiring harness replaced.Above options over $17,000 installed.Negotiable on price with removal of some accessories like roof rack/tent, ARB lockers , etc...Kelly Blue Book for private sale is $9200.Great deal for a turn-key truck.Upgrades alone over $21,000 installed.Email for pics or more info.Let me know if you want specific pictures.We also are a Full Service Land Rover Repair Center with Dealer Level Diagnostics for all models and years.

They have $13888..make offer on it.

Does it sound "too goo to be true"? Its green (dark mossy colored) with steel wheels...kind of like cragar soft 8's.

Im a bit obsesive complulsive...I have pretty much made up my mind that I want a disco...and want one NOW!!! but I dont want to jump in with both feet...and over my head!

Thanks for any advice you can give...and any comments you can make to lead me in the right direction!

chris M

Old 01-15-2008, 09:05 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New guy looking at buying a Disco

Sounds like you have done all your home work,,, You get an
A+.

Let us know how it drives!!!!!!!!

Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 AM
4wd High

Thanks for the good grade!!

Do you think I should be concerned about the transmission replacement with the disco described above?

Any other issues that I need to look for, or do you think that if the guy (or gal) spent that kind of money on it, its pretty well taken care of?

thanks,

chris

Old 01-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As said in the description, its worth more than that in modifications alone !!! I would try and get a warranty on it from that indy shop. Especially on the engine and transmission.

But drive it, test it and go for it !!!

Old 01-15-2008, 01:14 PM
TReK

ORIGINAL: cmorganf64

Thanks for the good grade!!

Do you think I should be concerned about the transmission replacement with the disco described above?

Any other issues that I need to look for, or do you think that if the guy (or gal) spent that kind of money on it, its pretty well taken care of?

thanks,

chris
Most times the transmission out last the rest of the LR.

Just keep it fluid changed.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:31 PM
4wd High

Thanks guys. The disco is still available and I hope to get there this afternoon to see it. We will see. He said that there was a small dent on the fron drivers quarter panel "but easily fixed".

Ill let you guys know how I do.

thanks again,

chris

Old 01-15-2008, 02:46 PM
TReK

Thats one less thing that you have to worry about,,,
take it out 4x4ing then have the little dents taken out.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Three Wheeling

I'm shopping too, so maybe have some insight.

That's a lot of money for a 2000. However, with those mods, it seems like a great deal. It really just depends on what kind of condition it's in when you get there. If it's in good condition, I'd probably jump on it if those are mods you want anyway.

If the car looks dodgy... then bail. I've bailed on 2 dodgy trucks so far. Just not worth the risk on these things.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:51 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

SOUNDS good but of course go look at it. Look everywhere and get back to us if you see anything fishy. It has some amazing mods on it and I bet it looks amazing. Tell us how it goes and let us know if you buy it!

Old 01-15-2008, 07:51 PM
4wd High

Yeah, Ive been making a list of things to look for (all from this forum)....I also have my work shirt/pants to change into so I can climb all under it. Im gonna see if the shop (this is an indy LR shop) will give me a warranty since they did the work. They could at least give me some kind of waranty....30 days, 3K miles or something....

Ive built a camping trailer that I was gonna mount a tent to...but if this has one already.....even better. I may have to do something else with the trailer.

Ill go over it with a fine toothed comb and let you all know how she does on my inspection.

Quick Reply: New guy looking at buying a Disco