Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy looking at buying a Disco

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: New guy looking at buying a Disco

If you were going to buy a Jeep G/C, you might pay about that same kind of money anyway. If you don't like the L/R you can always go out and get a Jeep. My daughter loves the land rover because the rear seat is high and she can see well out of the windshield from the middle of the rear seat (center). The Jeep with a 4.0L 6cyl will get you about 20 mpg. The Rover maybe 16 mpg. We've had tremendous luck with our Jeep G/C. It has about 200,000 mi. and runs like a top. Been extremely reliable. I think for off-roading, if set up right, the L/R would be a very good and stout rig. If you live around mountains, I found mine to be really doggy on mountain highways. But ours is a 98 too. The best part is you have mechanical experience, a place to work on it and don't mind turning wrenches should you need to. Well,give it a try. Let us know. Best of luck.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:56 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I have 2 vehicles that Im looking at....a 99 cherokee (not a grand) and the Disco. 2 very different vehicles, but both very capable vehicles.

I was out looking at a cherokee when I eyeballed a disco...and fell in love, or lust...not sure as of yet!

Im wanting a good, safe, dependable daily driver (we have a 4 year old and a baby on the way). I also want something that we can take to Uwharrie and Tellico when the mood strikes.Both vehicles can do that for me.

There is about a$6K difference in price between the 2 vehicles....but the extras that the disco has are incredible. Im leaning in that direction, but I am not givingup on the cherokee yet. The money I save by buying the cherokee could be put to good use building an amazing daily driver and strong offroad machine.

This afternoon will be interesting. I couldnt getout to see the Disco till close to dark yesterday, so Im heading that way today.

chrism

Old 01-16-2008, 08:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pictures would be nice!!

Old 01-16-2008, 11:16 AM
4wd High

I have the camera and will take some this afternoon.

chris

Old 01-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Mudding

Unless you get a Jeep equipped with Quadra-Trac, don't even waste your time. Here's a thread with tons of stuck JGC pictures. A CDL equipped Disco would get out of half of these situations!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362687

vs.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I have taken ourD1 on Moab and CO trails, mostly easy or light-moderate trails. Nothing extreme. It was a lot of fun. It was all stock and tires weren't very good, either on the L/R.But I think in purely stock form unless you have larger tires and maybe a lift, ya can't get a sense of what capabilities it has.Our Jeep wheels pretty well (Select-trac).Now, the L/R seems a lot heavier duty (much) than the Jeep, so over the long haul, you'd probably see the diff in reduced wear/tear. But it seemed heavy and tipsy and the tail kept getting hung up. The Jeep is lighter and generally seems more nimble. It also turns in a lot tighter circle. I like how the L/R, you sit a lot higher, easier to see obstacles. It was more comfortable too as far as ride goes. I wish I could have removed the anti-sway bars so it would crawl over obstacles better and get a better sense of it's capabilities. On-road, our Land Rover D1 seems to oversteer in the turns. That might be shocks, I haven't zero'd in on that problem, yet. Our Jeep G/C has 197k mi and still runs like a top. It's easier to get kids in/out of our Jeep because there's a little more room between the front/rear seats, and the floor angles up at the foot area of the rear seats, making it trickier for our 4yr old to scoot out. But these are small annoyanced ya can work around. We have a Jetta TDI and it has WAY less room between the seats.

One thing nobody said anything about is how Land Rover is a great conversation piece. When people hear ya got a Land Rover, everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY, stops the conversation and wants to know more. You get alot of vehicle in an older L/R.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: cmorganf64

I have the camera and will take some this afternoon.

chris
Just so you know, I have had a 99 Cherokee, and it is a good vehicle. But you mentioned having a baby on the way. You won't like the size of the Cherokee. The back seat is too small to get a kid in a forward facing childs seat. You will want the Disco for the room. (and because they are awesome)...

Old 01-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I agree with OkDiscoGuy on the Land Rovers being awsome, and I really do think you should give that one a try. My wife would disagree that a D1 is easier to get kids in/out of.She's prettypetite too, might not be as big of issuefor taller women.She much prefers the Jeep for kids. Did not have problems with rear-facing child seat which we used for what seemed like ages. When we bought our Jetta recently, we put our car seat in and spent some time driving and putting our daughter in/out several times to judgehow it would be.Lot less room back there than our Deville!

Also, per the previous Jeep comments: Why would youprefer theQuadra-trac in the Jeep, over Selec-Trac? 'Quadra-Trac' allows the driver 4x4 Hi-N-Lo, that's it, no 2wd option and the axles are not mechanically locked.Front/rear axle power goes through a fluid coupler thatis known to wear out ...andexpensive to replace.The optional 'Select-trac'transfer casesetupallowsthe driverto drive in 2wd most of the time, then choose 4x4 Full-time for slippery road conditions(not locked) or choose 4x4 Part-time (Hi and Lo) that mechanically locks the front/rear axles like a classic rock crawling rig.No expensive fluid coupler to crap out. Add the Trac-Loc rear axle and you'd have yourself arig that would have crawled right out of that mud puddle no sweat.Alocking rear axle in aL/R wouldgive it a formidabletraction.

Land Rovers are totally cool, but as a Jeep owner, I should say thisur daily driver'95 G/C with 4.0 & Selec-Trac has been one of the most trouble-free vehicles we've owned. It'll turn 200k mi probably next month. Besides reg maintenance, the windshield (crack), F. Driveshaft(prev owner never greased) and starter were only items we've changed.We were going to buy another one last summer, but my wifesaid lets save the $$ and drive it a couple more years. Plus it still gets 19.6 mpg average fuel economy. Now, the Land Rover is a LOT more robust underneath, and I really can't say about reliability because I haven't owned ours long enough. I think with proper care and maintenance, they will go just as long, or longer. I mean, they're built really tough. But, you're probably going to have to keep up with it a little more carefully. But I just wanted to give you honest feedback about my Jeep experience.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=PLyb9CCWQog
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=IngZdO...eature=related

Check out these video's and then tell me you think a Jeep is better than a LR.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

OK, so I looked at some of those Jeep Pics, and most of those shouldnt have been stuck. Most are out of stupidity and the wrong tires. A few I can understand why they are stuck.
But I know that my stock Disco could have gotten through 90% of what I saw.

Quick Reply: New guy looking at buying a Disco