Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new and help needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 05:30 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy new and help needed

alright straight to the point. i have a 2001 disco with 140,000 miles on it! she has a head gasket leak and a worn cam shaft. i honestly wish i had the knowledge to go in there and repair it myself but i dont so my question is would i be better off spending the 2k at eurover to have them repair the gasket Plus whatever the charges is for the camshaft, or save up and spend the 2500 to 3000 to purchase a rebuilt engine online i have seen on websites that come with a 1-5 year warranty? and also is it safe to drive back and forth to work if its only 10 minutes away?

so basically repair or replace? then if replace what sites are most reliable without depleting my wallet. and can i still drive it a few miles a day?

many thanks
MR B

2001 disco 2 140,000 ps still learning the guide lines

Old 09-05-2015, 05:37 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

If your aren't mechanical inclined...replace.

And don't drive it.

Old 09-05-2015, 05:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

you need to:
A) be independently wealthy
B) be willing to learn how to wrench
C) sell the truck

Those are really your only options because even if you replace the engine, that will not be the end of your mechanical troubles. Preventative maintenance is extensive, and will require either a fat wallet or elbow grease. The good news is nothing on the truck is that complicated and there's a wealth of knowledge on this site and people willing to help so I hope you choose "B"😀

The following users liked this post:
mrbrandonray123 (09-05-2015)
Old 09-05-2015, 07:09 AM
4th Gear

ahhh thanks you!

i definitely choose B, even if i became A to be honest. i mean i love the damn thing and being able to fix it myself would just make the rover experience even greater. i was a maintenance tech (for apartments)for a while so i know how to use a wrench just never touched a vehicle..

so first off any of these seem doable ? and secondary air injection???

2001 LAND ROVER LAND ROVER - Engine Assembly 4.0L, Discovery, Without Secondary Air Injection, VIN 2, 7th Digit, 1-Year Warranty - Car Monkeys

2001 LAND ROVER Engine

1999-2002 Discovery II Engine 4.0L V8 with Secondary Air

again many thanks and it will be a minute for me to get all the cash together, so is a 12 minute drive back from the shop okay or tow it home?? and while i am saving my funds are there any minor repairs or part replacements i can study/do for beginners

Old 09-05-2015, 07:58 AM
4th Gear

i tried a long reply i guess moderator has to approve first?? Even if i became (A) id still choose to be (B) just because i think it would make the rover experience 10x better.. but in short was an apartment maintenance tech for a bit so i know im atleast capable of useing a wrench just never touched a vehicle lol. but to the main point would any of these engine work? and ummm secondary air injection????????

2001 LAND ROVER LAND ROVER - Engine Assembly 4.0L, Discovery, Without Secondary Air Injection, VIN 2, 7th Digit, 1-Year Warranty - Car Monkeys

2001 LAND ROVER Engine

1999-2002 Discovery II Engine 4.0L V8 with Secondary Air

and minor questions... its going to take me some time to come up with the funds andits parked about 12 minutes from the house would it be alright for me to drive it home from the shop or tow it??? if it takes 2-3 months do i need to run it for a few minutes randomly?? and lastly to get myself started on the land rover repair train what are some basic things i can study to repair/replace minor please

2001 disco 2 140,000miles

Old 09-05-2015, 04:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbrandonray123
alright straight to the point. i have a 2001 disco with 140,000 miles on it! she has a head gasket leak and a worn cam shaft. i honestly wish i had the knowledge to go in there and repair it myself but i dont so my question is would i be better off spending the 2k at eurover to have them repair the gasket Plus whatever the charges is for the camshaft, or save up and spend the 2500 to 3000 to purchase a rebuilt engine online i have seen on websites that come with a 1-5 year warranty? and also is it safe to drive back and forth to work if its only 10 minutes away?

so basically repair or replace? then if replace what sites are most reliable without depleting my wallet. and can i still drive it a few miles a day?

many thanks
MR B

2001 disco 2 140,000 ps still learning the guide lines
I have basically your truck. Same setup. I never changed my own oil until I got tired of staring at my Disco that had sat in the garage for five years with a blown head gasket. You can get a used engine for less than two thousand, with a head gasket warranty, and that's exactly what I did when all I needed was a head gasket set. You CAN replace the head gasket with basic tools and a guide. I did. Three times.

If you lived close to me I would come look at your rover and tell you that a head gasket kit costs 200 dollars. I you said you couldn't do it, I'd say I did and it really is a weekend project in the driveway the first time, with a guide and some tools. If you said you didn't want to mess with it, I'd pay you about a thousand dollars for your Disco and put it 200 dollar head gasket on it. I've had that exact conversation twice. Plus, once you've done that the engine compartment won't be so intimidating and you will tackle just about anything, including your cam, which can be done on the truck (but doing it right requires more than just slapping in a cam).

You should not drive it with a head gasket leak. Aside from the risk of overheating, you can end up with a groove in your block deck or heads. Then you just have a rusting parts car.

You are in a bad but common position. Whichever way you go it will be a relief when it is over. Bu Bu will be a bigger relief if you fix it yourself. I know. I am a hero for fixing it myself (in m family anyway), a I have a fun truck to drive around.

Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 09-05-2015 at 04:17 PM.