Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New (and hopefully final) engine build.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 08:15 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

Hey Disco,

Do you have a part number for the Earls adaptor? I have a factory oil cooler I want to add to my 04

Old 05-25-2023, 01:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

@tony Did you install the engine with oil pan or without?

Old 05-25-2023, 05:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts

I just noticed even the air intake plenum looks to be pristine and in one piece, and the cabin air filter is in place!

Old 05-25-2023, 09:31 PM
Winching
Received 204 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Discorama
@tony Did you install the engine with oil pan or without?
Yes. With oil pan - and valve covers, lower intake, accessory brackets, and PS pump too. Easy to do with an inexpensive Harbor Freight engine stand.

No starter, exhaust manifold, intake plenum.

Last edited by Tony Luna; 05-26-2023 at 08:19 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Luna:
whowa004 (05-26-2023), YETIX (05-26-2023)
Old 05-25-2023, 09:36 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by mln01
I just noticed even the air intake plenum looks to be pristine and in one piece, and the cabin air filter is in place!
Cleaned and shot the plenum with AlumaBalst paint. One of the spark plug wire holders on the back of the plenum has a broken tab on top. Didn’t realize it until everything was almost completely reassembled. I’m such a nut that I thought about pulling the plenum and getting a replacement one. I fought the urge 🤣

The following users liked this post:
YETIX (05-26-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 05:14 PM
Winching

Painting a spare set of wheels before new tires.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tony Luna:
The_OGCJR (05-28-2023), YETIX (05-28-2023)
Old 05-27-2023, 11:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Wow Tony. Really nice job!

Old 05-30-2023, 12:37 PM
Winching

So now that I've been driving for a week, a couple of things seem like they need to be addressed.

1 - Rear suspension seems to bang pretty hard when going over curbs or big bumps. New shocks, OME medium duty springs, lower spring seats, and upper isolators. New radius arm and Watts linkage bushings too. Is it just stiff and that's the way it is? Will it soften over time?

2 - Steering seems to be soft/loose in the center - wanders easily. New steering box, hoses, drag and steering links, radius arm and panhard rod bushings. Steering started out stiff, but has since soften a bit (feels normal) - except for the "looseness' in the center. Was waiting for new tires and alignment (next week) to see if it changes, but was wondering if there is an adjustment to stiffen it up a bit in the center.

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-31-2023, 05:09 AM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony Luna
So now that I've been driving for a week, a couple of things seem like they need to be addressed.

1 - Rear suspension seems to bang pretty hard when going over curbs or big bumps. New shocks, OME medium duty springs, lower spring seats, and upper isolators. New radius arm and Watts linkage bushings too. Is it just stiff and that's the way it is? Will it soften over time?

2 - Steering seems to be soft/loose in the center - wanders easily. New steering box, hoses, drag and steering links, radius arm and panhard rod bushings. Steering started out stiff, but has since soften a bit (feels normal) - except for the "looseness' in the center. Was waiting for new tires and alignment (next week) to see if it changes, but was wondering if there is an adjustment to stiffen it up a bit in the center.

Thanks in advance.
1. Yes. Tis good this way. Doesn’t bounce around and float like a sketchy Wrangler. It will soften and drop eventually. You got any extra weight on it? Bumpers? Sliders? Winch?

2. Whenever I crack open the PS system and go to drive it for the first time it feels tight then loose at times. Maybe it’s just working air out of the system. Maybe it’s my mind playing tricks but I usually go do sweeping figure 8s in an empty church parking lot after a few brews to feel youthful and after a few rounds and daily driving it normalizes. Juke has a write up about flushing/bleeding I think in the tech section. Never done it as it usually works itself out.

Question. What’s tee’d off from the coolant elbow outlet? You seem to have a sensor there. As well, you have an inline thermostat attached to the tee. That tee set up is intriguing me as it may reduce the stress on coolant elbow outlet hose connected to my inline thermostat housing.

Do you think you could snap a closer picture for research purposes?

Everything looks amazing brother. A great example of how to do it up. One day I hope to do it up comfortably but for now Theseus’ Ship is on a 10 year preventative maintenance plan.

EDIT: After you get new tires you mentioned you are getting an alignment. Are you going to a “Green Means Go” alignment shop or more of a take your time and get it right alignment shop? Standard shop will get your Toe within specs and once it’s within Manual Specs and within the green they call it good. Pan Hard handles axle centerness, that is if you have an adjustable one. Actually if you dont let me know I have an extra 03-04 one I believe, just needs the bushings pushed out as they were pinched during installation.

Last edited by WildPackofFamilyDogs; 05-31-2023 at 05:22 AM.
Old 05-31-2023, 06:13 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,509 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I assume you have already adjusted the slack out of the steering box?

Quick Reply: New (and hopefully final) engine build.