Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Keys

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:44 PM
Aru
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Keys

Hello, I am a new Disco II owner, I bought my 2003 Disco II 2 days ago and the previous owner gave the keys to me with only one of the Key fob pieces working. The trouble is the key with the working fob doesn't work in the ignition because the tip is broken off My question is, what hoops am I going to have to jump through to get a new key made for my car that works in the ignition, and has a working fob?

Old 06-04-2014, 11:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

The metal key should pull straight out of the fob. Might need pliers. Then just snap the good key into the good fob.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Also, they other key fob can be programmed to the d2 by someone with something from blockbox solutions or autologic or hawkeye or the like.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:57 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can put the electronics of the working fob into the case of the working key. Then get a spare key cut whilst saving up,for a new electronic fob and the reprogramming.

Old 06-05-2014, 07:39 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

go one ebay buy a new case which comes with a new key blank, replace the guts and have the new key blank cut

Old 06-05-2014, 08:02 AM
Aru
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perfect, thank you guys!

Old 06-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I just recently bought a new case with blank on ebay.

Turns out ebay blanks have the same problem as everyone that is converting to the flip key.

First the locksmith told me the blank was off because it was missing a notch at the tip, and chances are it's a valet key and won't open the glovebox.

After cutting the blank, it worked on the door and not the ignition. I asked her(wife of the guru) to try and work on it, but she said she didn't want it to get stuck in the ignition.

I'm going to see the master tomorrow morning.

My solution is remove the pin holding the small plastic end to the key. Have the locksmith use one of their blanks which I know works, cut the end down, then drill a small hole to put the plastic end tab back on.

I'll report back when done with pics. It has been said that the ones on ebay have the wrong "shoulder" and are actually a Hyundai blank.

Originally Posted by drowssap
go one ebay buy a new case which comes with a new key blank, replace the guts and have the new key blank cut

Old 06-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I had one cut as well and only worked in the door and not the ignition. Problem was the point left on the front of the key. Filed it down and now works fine on ignition and door.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Well that sounds simple! Thanks I'm going to try it

Originally Posted by ralphobell
I had one cut as well and only worked in the door and not the ignition. Problem was the point left on the front of the key. Filed it down and now works fine on ignition and door.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:45 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

My eBay blank was not quite right either, but a good key cutter can figure it out and get it right. My Locksmith took his time and manually set it in the cutter to get the right tip and length, etc...

Quick Reply: New Keys