Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Land Rover Owner & I have questions

Old 12-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Land Rover Owner & I have questions

Just purchased a 1999 Discovery this afternoon after looking for a RV Dinghy. Looked at Jeeps and a few others and the LR seemed to be the best bet for me. Couple of questions I have, I belive this to be just the Discovery and not the Discovery II although I am not really sure of the difference. After running the carfax, it stated Land Rover Discovery and my rear hatch only shows Discovery and no marking for the Disco II.

Fist problem is the Fuel Gauge which I knew before purchasing was bad as it shows full at all times except while the key is off which leads me to belive that it will be the tank sender that is probably at fault. First question is: will the reserve light still work if I get to that point of fuel level? second question: Is there just a fuel sender that I can order instead of purchasing the entire pump and guage assembly? I do recall on a Dodge Dakota I was able to purchase just a fuel pump and install it into the assembly and saved about $300 smacks. Third question is on aftermarket assemblies, I came up with a part number of W0133-1600950 but depending on the site some say it will fit up to 1998 and some say later. My Build date is 05/1998 and vin number is SALJY1246XA79XXXX
Thanks Gary

Old 12-12-2008, 01:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Default RE: New Land Rover Owner & I have questions

You have a Discovery 1.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:17 AM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking at Atlantic British (www.roverparts.com) I only found the fuel pump/level sender assembly. No separate level sender. I could be wrong and just not seen it but it looks like you'll have to replace the fuel pump also.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

YUP!! You have a D1 and to get a new fuel sender, you will have to replace the pump.
Go to , http://www.dap-inc.com/parts/d1/d1_parts.shtml and see the 2 different pumps, unfortunately you have the expensive one.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the inputs. Looks like there is a wide range of pricing on the same pump, looks like I will need to shop or find a used one. Can't see why one of these things cost as much as a new set of tires and I know that I'm definetly not paying for technoligy.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:09 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when it comes to buying parts for your rover remember SloppyJoe's #1 golden rule,,

skimp on your woman, not on your Rover. in all likelihood the rover will outlast her. mine has,,, HA!!!

Old 12-13-2008, 01:57 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: sloppyjoe

when it comes to buying parts for your rover remember SloppyJoe's #1 golden rule,,

skimp on your woman, not on your Rover. in all likelihood the rover will outlast her. mine has,,, HA!!!

Old 12-13-2008, 10:12 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i crack myself up sometimes,,,

Old 12-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Overlanding

I recently purchased a 2004 Discovery2 and within the first 2 weeks my fuel pump went out on me, so I have learned quickly about pricing and how to remove the old POS and put in a new one. The rip off dealer wanted 500 of my hard earned notes but I ended up getting it at Carquest for just $290 out the door!
took me about 30 mins to install I reckon i probably saved myself about a grand. Personally I wouldn't bother with a used pump which you pay about $225 for, pony up the extra and get a new one, I did and I'm a tight *** when it comes to my wallet!

04 with 70K

Old 12-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: Galaxie_406

Thanks for the inputs. Looks like there is a wide range of pricing on the same pump, looks like I will need to shop or find a used one. Can't see why one of these things cost as much as a new set of tires and I know that I'm definetly not paying for technoligy.
You are paying for the design and features of the LR fuel pump.
DI fuel pumps are designed to work even when the fuel tank has been crushed, like from hitting a big rock for example.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Land Rover Owner & I have questions